TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
between the explorer 4.6 and the mustang 4.6 that make sthe explorer rated at 239 horse and 282 tq and the mustang at 260 hp and 302 tq?

Later,
jay

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
The intake manifolds themselves are the same (except for the heater core nipple locations), but the difference is most likely in the airbox/silencer/maf/air tube setup. That probably doesnt have much effect on the numbers really. Id say the bigger factors are the tune followed by the exhaust setup.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
no.. same heads and cams... same w/ the tbird/mustang same heads and cam.. difference is the exhaust, tune, and TC for autos

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thanks.. just wondering on what to expect after my swap is done. I will be putting in the mark converter since I have one here and I would like to put on the Accufab plenum 75 mm throttle body and kooks headers during the swap if I have the extra cash. Maf will prolly be the factory bird maf and no tune right away, but will be getting it tuned in the spring prolly.

later,
jay

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
There is zero difference between either a mustang or Explorer engine in our cars (save the 80-lb weight savings on the aluminum Explorer block). Mechanically (performance-wise) they are identical.

Another power gain for the Stang over the Exploder is that the Stang has an e-fan, the Explorer does not (it's belt driven).

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, anyone want a brand new blet driven fan?? why the heck did for do that on the explorers?

later,
jay

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Spidey2721 said:
why the heck did for do that on the explorers?
Well, it's a truck, not a racecar. The few ponies that are lost turning the fan arent important. Trucks need torque more than horsepower.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Another power gain for the Stang over the Exploder is that the Stang has an e-fan, the Explorer does not (it's belt driven). [/B]

Are trying to tell me that a belt driven fan steals 21 hp? Bah!

Prolly exhaust manifold design, and air intake design. I also want to maybe guess that there might be some viscosity drag through windage design. I am sure the Exlorer has a different oil pan(it is a truck), but I am guessing here.

21 hp difference is alot to blame on a belt driven fan. We're talking nearly 10%.

But then again, unless you dyno both engine's in stock form, there is no real way to know if the manufacturer fudged the numbers a bit(like back in the 60's and 70's) to help sales/insurance premiums

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Blackicelsc said:

Are trying to tell me that a belt driven fan steals 21 hp? Bah!

Prolly exhaust manifold design, and air intake design. I also want to maybe guess that there might be some viscosity drag through windage design. I am sure the Exlorer has a different oil pan(it is a truck), but I am guessing here.

21 hp difference is alot to blame on a belt driven fan. We're talking nearly 10%.

But then again, unless you dyno both engine's in stock form, there is no real way to know if the manufacturer fudged the numbers a bit(like back in the 60's and 70's) to help sales/insurance premiums
Dude when did I say the fan was the only loss? I said another power difference is the fan. Aaron already listed exhaust and tune which are probably the two biggest differences.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts