TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The swap is on!

Ok for the few of you that know me, I’m about to swap a 04 cobra motor into my Lincoln. Provided I get my truck and all the parts needed, were on for the swap the first weekend in December.

I’ve got a heater and the garage should be big enough for the swap. Here is the plan…

Saturday December 3rd we’ll drop the K member with engine and trans. During the week I’ll be cleaning up the engine compartment and putting the engine and trans on the K-member
Saturday December 10th re-install the new motor into the Lincoln and trouble shoot. The car most likely won’t be very drivable because the exhaust has to be welded up. But I hope to get it to turn over and idle.

I have air tools to help the job go faster. I hope to have my buddy down from Springfield Ill to help. Other than that I’m just looking for some extra hands and expertise on the swap. Food will be provided.

Can I get a roll call for people that are willing to help?

BTW. I'm out in ofallon mo. directions coming soon.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Now only if it were that easy to swap on.

I am not sure but is that motor going to fit with that K-member. What about the alternator and some of the other concerns. Computer stuff. Tune stuff. U-know.

Most of all. GOOD LUCK!

You might want to try contacting racecougar. He has experience with swapping just about everything in the car to something else.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Midnight said:
Now only if it were that easy to swap on.

I am not sure but is that motor going to fit with that K-member. What about the alternator and some of the other concerns. Computer stuff. Tune stuff. U-know.

Most of all. GOOD LUCK!

You might want to try contacting racecougar. He has experience with swapping just about everything in the car to something else.
Well I've seen a K-member drop in a garage about my size in a mustang so it cant be that bad. The wireing is 90% done. The computer shouldn't be an issue as its ODBII just like the cobra.

I've got a bracket made and another bracket coming someone else made for the alternator. so thats covered. Right now I just want to get the car to turnover and idle anything after that in tuneing will take ALOT of time (all winter)

And I've already PM'd racecougar hoping upon hope he can join us.

This weekend I'l going to PB Blaster as many bolts as I can to make sure everything will break free easy. I also have an impact if needed.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'll be visiting family in the STL from dec. 24 to jan. 4/5. I'll stop by for some free food :D I lived in Warrenton for a year, so I've got car buddies there. If you don't mind I'll probably bring one of my best friends.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
I'm about 4 hours away. I might be able to help one of the weekends, most likely the latter if at all. I've got some expertise in motor removal and swaps - done it twice this year. Got any gas money? :cool:

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
phreakness, I just got your PM. I'll let you know if I can make it, but right now it doesn't look like I'll be in the St. Louis area until around Dec 20th. I'm trying to finish up my last semester at UMR (Univ MO - Rolla), all the while actively searching for a job.

-Rod

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok Kids we are a go on the swap! I pick up my second vehicle in the morning. The headers on on the way. 95% of the parts are confirmed shipped and I now on a first name basis with the speed shop that has AN fittings for the fuel system. The garage will be cleaned after the truck is delivered. So do I have a head count some members that would like to watch or help out?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well its been a while but here are some picture updates that you’ve all been waiting for.

New pretty exhaust that you’ll never see. Kooks mid-length, extra long 02 sensors, 2.5 cats.

new ford parts. Flex plate, stock motor mounts, mark viii oil pan and pickup.

aeromotive return fuel system & regulator

….

Stainless steel exhaust pipes

More pictures and updates coming soon….

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
Any picks of the custom alt bracket & do you plan to move M8 oil filter adapter over?

Thanks,
Scott
Untill I get the 03 cobra motor on the K-member I dont know if the bracket will work. Once I've tested it and get it runnign I'll post pics

·
Registered
680 Posts
SVT2888 said:
Anybody wanna try the same thing on a t-bird? :D

J/K

Yes, I just picked up 03 Cobra heads, but I still need a front cover and some small items.

I still need to have the aluminum SB built up with forged pistons/rods/Crank etc.

Going to be alot of custom fabrication for my setup.

phreakness,

BTW, let us know how the hood clearance turns out, especially at the blower pulley.

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
680 Posts
Scott here's some pictures of the Alternator, on another motor,

I'm still scratching my head wondering how the placement of the P.S. pump, A.C. compressor, and Alternator are all going to work out..

I haven't gotten that far on the build up yet, without a front cover... will be interesting, lol.

The second picture shoes the Cobra oil cooler and bypass.

I think I might go with an aftermarket piece for better clearance.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Here is my alternator bracket... bottom left, I can get a better picture of it if you need more detail...

If you didn't already know, the long bolt holds the upper end of the alternator up.

The bolt is situated front to rear in the engine comparment.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yes, the 2003 Cobra setup uses the large positive displacement Eaton Blower, with an intercooler and a very large intake!

Here is a picture off another guys assembled setup.... kind of what the final product should end up near....

1 - 20 of 277 Posts