TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I repaired my door hinge today, well, actually it's 1 in the morning and I'm just done. I was adjusting the door to close properly, and at one point I juuussst got it close to closing. Since it was late, I figured if I could get it to close, I would adjust it in the morning.

Well, like a dork, I pull up on it to close it, and when I went to open it, I pulled up on the door handle.

I heard a pop, and now 1) the door handle operates like it's real stiff, like it needs lube, but I know it's not that because it was fine before that "pop." 2) the exterior handle used to spring right back down into place, now it does it occasionally, and not if you pull it up all the way.

So, do I replace the door handle altogether? or, can I replace just some of the parts that the handle operates? do I get another handle from someplace and replace the guts?

Any help would be great. Trying to get the bird just right. Used Custom wheel shop for some great wheels, used Scott for white bullet gauge faces, swapping out my 97 Tbird gauges for earlier ones, and so on. Just hate to have a sweet ride with a broken door handle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
To me it sounds as if you broke one of the rivets that holds the door handle in place. The door handle is a pretty simple design. The handle itself has a little arm on it that's about an inch long and curves upright with a hole in the end. There is an arm that resembles a clothes hanger in the door that slides through that hole in the handle. The handle and the trim that surrounds it and the door lock are one piece that are held on with two rivets. If one of the rivets broke then the angle that the handle rotates as you pull up on it will alter and can cause these symptoms.

If you were to ask me how I know... this is exactly what I'm going through with my car right now lol. I drilled the rivets out, replaced the handle, replaced one rivet with a screw and can not get the second screw in place because the window rail is in the way.

In summary - I think you should replace the whole door handle

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
you can buy them from a dealer ship but your gonna pay 60 bucks. or you can go to a junkyard and pay a few dollars

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, fokus and superbirdy.

After a few searches I've seen some things to look at before replacing the handle. Will try that this weekend or so.

My next question is, if I wind up replacing the handle, are there other years of Tbirds I can use, or do I have to use one from a 97? Can I use a 96? Or, any of the years before?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
96/97 are the same style you currently have but the older ones physically bolt up they just don't look as good imo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts