TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure some of you have seen the original "Gone In 60 Seconds" There is a scene where Hallicki is talking on the phone about Parnelli's Bronco that they stole he goes "Oh, right, you mean Janet" But he's sitting in the car talking on the phone....this was 1973-1974....where car phones available in limited numbers to ritch people? It was rotary, huge, but didn't look like a landline phone.

This phone also makes an appearance in "Junkman" where he's being chased in his Eldorado, and grabs the handset and starts dialing the rotary dial....realizes that the phone cord is cut, says "I can't believe they cut my phone cord" or something....this was around 1983....so when did car phones first appear?

·
Registered
647 Posts
I saw an episode of Dukes of Hazzard a few weeks back with a guy on a carphone and I was wondering the same thing. I mean the reception had to be terrible for a phone in that time period and I doubt there would have been any signal in rural Hazzard county anyway if it were a real place.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Radio telephone was used in the mid 70s, it wasn't widespread, and it was built on the police radio network, and as such it was mainly police that had it, and government people. The first hand held portable was around 1975.

Episodes of Banacek that ran from 1972 to 1974 he had a car phone, as did many others of that time period. I would guess it was available to police and government that had there own system, and they had operators that could connect them to land line phones. It isn't a stretch to think that it was possible.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
My father had one in the late 70's to mid 80's. In fact, I think it's hooked up, or sitting any way, in one of his Eldorados still. It is huge. The receiver itself is about 3/4 the size of a phone book, with a rotory dial on it (it's not a CB). It has a hand held "Phone" which attachs to the unit with a phone cord, and hangs up on the unit. Then tha antenna wire goes to the roof where it connects to a CB type antenna. It almost looks like an old fax machine with the phone attached. Now I'm curious. I'm gonna go over my Dad's later and check it out better. I'll keep ya's posted on what I see:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts