TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Among the very few original parts in my newer engine are the lash adjusters and finger followers. They have roughly 125,000 miles on them now, while pretty much everything else in the engine has about 6,000 miles. There is no excessive valve train noise, and the engine will rev to the cutoff at 6500 RPM. Would there be any performance benefit to installing new parts?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
What about those new GT cam followers? According to Nick, they benefit your engine due to better oiling up top and they are lighter adding a few ponies to boot!
Here is Nick's article about them: http://www.modularheadshop.com/headoilingsystemmodifications.aspx

Nick said:
We increased the cam journal to cam bore clearance to double of the OEM specs and found it cost roughly 5% of oil pressure in the head and no significant change (we could never measure any change actually) in the block. This is both thanks to the oil restrictors, and the fact that the stock rockers are the biggest oil bleeds in the heads by far.

The best modification to a modular head - simply swapping in a set of GT rocker/followers!

Rocker/followers - Here is where we can make some easy changes to boost oil pressure!The stock rocker/followers are 16 to 32 massive oil leaks in the heads, these bleed off more oil pressure than all other systems in the heads combined. GT rocker/followers have oil restrictors built into them and fit directly in place of the stock version. Now thanks to Ford Racing taking up the supply, costs are just over half of what you find at the dealer. See the picture below showing the oil bleed of the stock rocker next to the GT rocker:

The part number of the followers is M-6529-MSVT.
There is a guy selling them cheap on the corral, but I've emailed him several times and he doesn't communicate well. :zdunno:
He answers my emails, but he doesn't make a lot of sense!

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
while they may not make more HP at your rpm levels , the Ford gt cam followers are lighter and combined with the exhaust lash adjuster from the same car, you can get better oiling of the can journalsdue to increased oil pressure in th heads.

·
Super Moderator
10,330 Posts
I'm going to do this; it just seems like the right thing to do.

I've never heard of a seized main bearing, but I have heard of cams seizing, and snapping the chain; they're the first point of "oil fail".

IIRC, it was the rear journal at #8, which is also a reason why I did the "Apten Mod" on that side head on all my new stuff. :)

The oil pumps MHS uses are expensive, but after looking at the insides of what's available elsewhere, I'm going that way too.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
The TSS geard oil pumps MHS sells are available direct from Triangle Speed Shop. Granted you should have bought yours about 4 years ago when they were like $279 on sale, I'm sure you can get a good price on one. The melling billet geared pump would also be a good 2nd choice IMO. I think Rod Racecougar uses one.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts