TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a reminder about old tires. The do fail. My Tbird was used only around town for the last few years. I had forgot that I bought the tires in 2001. Ooops. The right rear threw the tread at 55 mph.

Fairly minor damage. The rear inner shield is gone and a small chunk of the bumper just behind the wheel well. Luckily no damage to the fuel filler or vent line or the brake line.

One thing is that the car was steady thanks to the great suspension on the MN-12s. The tire did hold air for about 12 hours before it went flat.

So, if you use your cars infrequently check those manufacture dates. I forgot how old my tires were. The were not weather cracked at all.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Just a reminder about old tires. The do fail. My Tbird was used only around town for the last few years. I had forgot that I bought the tires in 2001. Ooops. The right rear threw the tread at 55 mph.

Fairly minor damage. The rear inner shield is gone and a small chunk of the bumper just behind the wheel well. Luckily no damage to the fuel filler or vent line or the brake line.

One thing is that the car was steady thanks to the great suspension on the MN-12s. The tire did hold air for about 12 hours before it went flat.

So, if you use your cars infrequently check those manufacture dates. I forgot how old my tires were. The were not weather cracked at all.

thats not that bad.....

whats bad, is the tires I just changed on my 97 F150........they were original :eek:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aren't you lucky....I'm just wondering about the collector cars that get less than 1,000 miles per year. After about 20 years hop out on the freeway and beat up a whole bunch of sheet metal.

I did read in Hemming Classic Car Magazine about a 1928 Ford still running on tires that were installed around 1940. Of course that car never sees anything over 25 mph.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Years ago, when I was young and foolish (now I'm old and foolish :tongue:) I bought two tires already mounted on rims from a junkyard and popped them onto my car (I think it was a Datsun.) The problem was that they had sat on the car in the junkyard for so long they had developed "flat spots" on them. So as I rolled down the road they would "bump". For some reason I thought they would start to even out after a few hundred miles. They didn't. At the "flat spots" they actually wore down to the cord after only a couple thousand miles, and I had to get more tires. But this time they didn't come from the junkyard! ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts