TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, changing the drivers side O2 sensor - I noticed the freeze plug behind it the bottom was alittle rusted, and I could see liquid (must have been a SLOW leak) gathered on the bottom of the plug, almost like condensation, and alittle at the bottom of the oilpan (not enough for a drip on the ground). I found its anti-freeze, so now I know the freeze plug must be alittle loose. So I take a 1" piece of wood - maybe 10" long and GENTLY tapped on the bottom of the freeze plug. on the first tap, I now notice a pretty steady stream of anit-freeze comming out, and now going drip....drip...drip on my driveway! I quick put a pan to catch most of it - NOW WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!?!? I guess drain the radiator, can I just take the freeze plug out (how do you take it out), and replace it? can you get one anywhere??? Oh man - I hope thisn't going to be too difficult - I'm in a mild panic. I assume something can be done without taking the engine out...

Help! :confused::eek::eek::confused:

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I don't think you can. If I remember correctly, they are kinda pressed in. It might be hard to get to. Drain it, then see if you can get a new one. Get a brass punch and hammer and put the punch in the middle of the freeze plug then lightly hammer it in. I think the hole or original plug had a problem. It may need to come out. \
The first thing to do is to CALM DOWN!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok I hit it in - it looked like it went in about 1/8" but it is still dripping (like once every 5 seconds). I guess I have to drain the radiator, and get a new one - are they generic or do I need a ford type? are they 1 1/2" I assume?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
That I don't know. You will have to ask a engine builder or shop. That's probably your best bet too. It may not hold. Either it is out of round or something. They would be able to tell you more.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
You need to replace them all. If one was rusted through, the rest are too.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
You need to replace them all. If one was rusted through, the rest are too.
Ditto dat.

I know it will be a real pain-in-the-... but you should get all of them replaced if you can. These things are a bit tricky to get seated right, but once they are, there should be no further problems for the rest of the engine's life....unless of course you pop one out from the coolant freezing up....which almost never happens anyway despite the term "freeze plugs".

It's easy if you have the motor out and on a stand, but could prove very difficult to do when the engine is still in the car. Best of luck to ya.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol well I am the engine builder so I will make sure I get right on that :tongue: I looked at the other one on the driver's side and it looks new - I know this was my fault - back in the ay when it wasn't drivable, I put mostly water in it, and I turned it on and it was winter, and snapped the belt for he water pump! This is probably when the freeze plug came open a bit (car was only started for not even a minute, but still). I got a new plug and drained the radiator, I will probably change it out tomorrow... GOOD GRIEF! lol

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ditto dat.

I know it will be a real pain-in-the-... but you should get all of them replaced if you can. These things are a bit tricky to get seated right, but once they are, there should be no further problems for the rest of the engine's life....unless of course you pop one out from the coolant freezing up....which almost never happens anyway despite the term "freeze plugs".

It's easy if you have the motor out and on a stand, but could prove very difficult to do when the engine is still in the car. Best of luck to ya.
Actually they are called CORE plugs, this is where they get the sand out when the block is cast.. I guess one popped out when one froze up way back in olden times, and the term freeze plug was born..

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Actually they are called CORE plugs, this is where they get the sand out when the block is cast.. I guess one popped out when one froze up way back in olden times, and the term freeze plug was born..
Exactly. I never understood why people call them "freeze plugs", but it's a term everyone recognizes even though their purpose is only incidental to the production/casting process....

It's like calling something a "thingy-ma-diggy" yet everyone still knows what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Exactly. I never understood why people call them "freeze plugs", but it's a term everyone recognizes even though their purpose is only incidental to the production/casting process....

It's like calling something a "thingy-ma-diggy" yet everyone still knows what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

Sort of along the line of calling a VIN a VIN Number. Lots of people know it is the incorrect thing to say, yet they do it anyway. Go figure.

Back to the original thread though. Yeah, only repair the leaking one, imho.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

I think there is a technical difference between a true "freeze plug" and a "core plug". A freeze plug is specifically located in a block to keep it from cracking in case of a freeze. That may or may not be used for the casting process. Whereas a core plug is used in the casting process and may or may not be in a location suitable for a freeze plug.

The plugs in the engines we’re talking about are serving two purposes: To plug the core holes, and to serve as a freeze plug.

I've used many of those rubber ones and have had no problems. You just don't want to put them in all of the holes. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts