TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put in a complete MarkVIII subframe and diff with all poly bushings. I used spring perches from Thomas and 1 poly isolator on the perch with a factory rubber one on top. The tall part of the spacer faces outside. The car sits about 2 or 3 inches higher. Surely the small weight difference wouldn't be the only culprit. The front is slightly jacked up from a glass hood also.

So what are people doing for springs when they use MarkVIII arms? Lowering springs? The rear is very stiff now and I fear cutting a coil might make it TOO stiff.
The ride isn't any rougher, but pushing on the bumper just isn't as mushy as before. It takes probably 300 lbs to make the ride height the same as before.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Did you tighten all your bushing bolts while it was still in the air? Or did you sit it down on the wheels, bounce it up and down a few times, and then tighten the bolts?

If you don't you might preload the bushings and it won't sit as it should.

Just a thought... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The poly bushings don't preload at all. The only one that isn't poly is the inner upper a-frame. Thanks for the thought, though:)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Get yourself a really big 300lb subwoofer.

Sounds kinda freaky. Got any pics?

My guess is that poly doesn't compress like rubber bushings and you added height by using mark lower arms and a coil spring perch. your is the second post I've seen about poly spring isolators jacking up the rear end. Maybe astick your old rubber ones back on the bottom spring and see if ride height drops.

What springs are you using?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I wanna see pics!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay. Tomorrow I will take a pic.

Running the oem LX springs.

There's an extra 75 lbs. worth of speakers, spare tire, jack, ect.. in the trunk. The diff braces probably offset the weight reduction of the pumpkin. Filling the gas tank didn't make a noticable difference.

I'm going to just cut one coil at first. If that isn't enough I can remove the poly isolator.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I would think you'd be fine cutting a few coils off the stock lx springs since they are so soft. I would pull the poly isolators first though.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just cut one coil from the bottom of the rear springs. Put the ride height back where it was. The front needs like 1/2 coil cut due to the hood. That might wait until I decide whether to use aluminum heads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts