TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OMG! I killed my Bird!

I killed her y'all! The tranny is really messed up now. I haven't taken it to a shop yet, but it doesn't look good. When I took off from a stop this am, I got to about 30 mph and then the car downshifted and chirped the tires. (Tranny guy says this is "limp mode") After that, I got it up to speed just fine. At the next light, it wouldn't swap gears after 20 mph. When it finally did shift, the whole car jerked like it had been slammed into park. After that, it whined (sounded like a belt whine) for about 30 seconds. Once again, I got back up to highway speed after that, but I parked it as soon as I could. :(

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Ooops :p ! How much is that gonna cost you to fix?

Hey, now's the best time to do some mods to it :).

Kevin.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know yet on the price. The tranny guy I spoke with said he couldn't get to it til Friday, and that he would check all the computer parts of it first ($68) before he jumped into a rebuild. I do know I'm going to have him add a cooler though.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'll tell you what, get a dennis-made transmission. It fortifed with most of the parts from the trans 101 article. Or at least get a ford reman. trans.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Same thing happened on my bros 74 charger a couple of months ago. This was due to it leaking tranny oil and him being too lazy to put more in. Well im sure he learned his lesson. Neway, he had to have his tranny rebuilt. Your prob looking at 1700 or around there. Sorry bout the bad news.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a quote today. To rebuild, add shift kit and cooler and to replace rear main seal, $1750. Is that ok?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Jezuz, for a little more money, like i said before, you can get a dennis reinhart rebuilt transmission, which is many times better then a rebuild by some trans shop of the VERY shitty '95 trans. Have you ever read the transmissions 101 article in the tech article section? The dennis trans includes all of those upgraded parts, plus the magical "j-mod". Thus making for a very sturdy trans, which will likely never have to be touched again (other then fluid changes and if you want a higher stall converter, which you can also buy from dennis). $2100 (trans+shipping+instalation included in that price) for a worry free transmission? I'd do it. Oh wait, I already am. :D :D

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
listen to whitebird on this one, you may be paying a little bit more (emphasis on little) but you'll be alot happier in the long run, with a much better tranny.

·
Registered
267 Posts
put it this way, i spent 1200 on a rebuild when i first got the car, and it was the biggest waste of money. it did exactly what you described... its not electronic. if i remember, something wasnt disengaging... wish i did a jerry job cuz mine sux more than stock. im surprised its still kickin'

Dave

·
Registered
86 Posts
OOOOOh.......

Where do we get this dennis Transmission? Is it a standard transmissionand does it come with cooler also? And is my 90LX to old to get something like that.

TIA
Will
One Love Hawaii

·
Registered
726 Posts
I know dennis does 4r70w's not sure about aods
his website is http://www.reinhartautomotive.com Its not a big page, but it has his contact number. Call him and find out what he offers for your car.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
$1700 for a rebuild seems fair, but if you don't plan on beating the tar out of your car (like most of us do :D), a Dennis R. tranny may be a waste of money.

If the car is JUST to get from A to B, consider a used tranny out of a wrecked car. They're cheap, and a few hundred (max) should get it installed :).

It all depends on what you want from your car, and how many years you want it to last.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
MercCougarXR7 said:
$1700 for a rebuild seems fair, but if you don't plan on beating the tar out of your car (like most of us do :D), a Dennis R. tranny may be a waste of money.

If the car is JUST to get from A to B, consider a used tranny out of a wrecked car. They're cheap, and a few hundred (max) should get it installed :).

It all depends on what you want from your car, and how many years you want it to last.
i say if you plan on beating the tar out of the car, all the more reason to get a Dennis tranny. i know when mine gives way, thats the first person im calling. 1700 for a rebuild is 500 too much and a waste of time, IMHO.

·
Registered
726 Posts
$1700 for a rebuild seems fair, but if you don't plan on beating the tar out of your car (like most of us do ), a Dennis R. tranny may be a waste of money.
I have to disagree. $400 is not a whole lot of money when you start talking in the $2000 range. A dennis trans is so much better then a rebuild by any trans shop of your crappy trans, its unbeliveable. Get the dennis trans. it is the only good choice, other then a '99+ 5.4L trans, but that will cost even more because of the custom work and other parts needed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
hmmmmm

4r70w

Wait isn't my 90LX compatible with that or do i need a chip to run it? or should i just get off my lazy *** and call Dennis Reinhart. lol

·
Registered
726 Posts
no, the 4r70w is an electronicly controled transmission, where as the aod (which you have) is fully hydralic. I sapose you could swap in a 4r70w, but it would not be worth all the effort or money. Go ahead and call(or email) dennis, see if he offers any aod transmissions.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WTF???????

I drove the car to the tranny shop 2nite. It didn't act up at all, except for the shudder it always has. Maybe this is a sensor problem? No clue here. (the shudder quits if i let off the gas and get right back in it).

·
Registered
267 Posts
yes, they have a mind of their own :) you can count on the fact it hasnt fixed itself though. the shudder is might be the lockup converter going on and off and is a common problem but not that big of a deal. anyone know if we can wire in a switch to that and kill it when it cant make up its mind what it wants to do?
Dave

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dirty: You can control the TCC with a switch, but be sure to put a 10 ohm 20 watt resistor in series with the switch if you have an older 1 to 2 ohm TCC solenoid. Otherwise you will fry the solenoid.

You will generate LOTS of extra heat if you run it unlocked in 4th. This calls for a big extra cooler and a tranny temp gauge.

I built a "deslipinator" circuit that locks it whenever the PCM commands it to slip, and I've seen a device that seems to do the same thing for sale on the web, but I don't recall the url. The vendor wasn't really clear about who the device worked. The deslipinator works great on my 92 TC.

Almost forgot - the PCM, when it locks the TCC, checks if its slipping, and if so, releases it to keep it from burning up. Your manual switch won't do this, so keep this in mind.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts