TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He-e-e-e-elp! On my way to Las Vegas tomorrow (No nudie bars scheduled for this time,sorry) and I noticed a leak under the radiator again -- where a new lower radiator hose was recently installed to address this leak -- and I was wondering given my time window today whether there was a "mechanic's trick" (plumbers have many of these) to find exactly where the leak is hailing from? It's much harder to spot a leak in these tighter engine bays with electric fan shrouds and such as opposed to older cars I once had.

About to jack it up.

There's an Autozone at the ready with a radiator in case it is the radiator.Hopefully it's just a hose or clamp that wasn't attached properly and nothing more.

And the refill procedure is refilling it with the engine on and the heater on?

Thanks a lot you guys.

(By the way,parts such as radiators are 30 to 40 bucks less expensive via the 'net.Wow!)

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Most "Mechanics" have coolant system pressure testers with various fittings, it allows you to pressurize the coolant system to check for leaks visually.

Also no nudie bars? What fun are you?:tongue:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Terrific ... no food coloring tricks for a radiator,huh? I don't have a pressure tester. :(

Chris: I noticed you're in Las Vegas. Any good,low priced mechanics you'd recommend in case I have any troubles upon arriving this week,or for that matter,any time I visit there in the future?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Terrific ... no food coloring tricks for a radiator,huh? I don't have a pressure tester. :(

Chris: I noticed you're in Las Vegas. Any good,low priced mechanics you'd recommend in case I have any troubles upon arriving this week,or for that matter,any time I visit there in the future?

Thanks
Myself, however I work in a shop (Terrible Herbst Motorsports Garage), I don't know what you consider "low priced". Also Gordon aka SuperGordo runs a repair shop out of his home garage.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The shroud was no fun removing as I had to loosen a few things to get it out. I can see the radiator from both sides now. I can't spot where it's coming from as a little fluid is all along the bottom brace on both ends.

Question: Can I start the engine and allow it to warm up without the fan for a bit to see if I can spot it? Will it harm anything just as long as I don't get it too hot?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're not going to believe this ...

As I'm drying the area to see where any new leaks might spring once I turn on the engine,I happen to tap the drain plug and I noticed it was loose. IT WAS OUT TWO-AND-A-HALF TURNS. I backed it out just a hair to and fluid came gushing out.

Now could the canister right next to it have loosen it with normal everyday engine vibration,OR DID THE MECHANIC WHO REPLACED THE HOSE **** UP???

I can't believe it. I'm going to turn the engine on and see what happens.I'll probably attach a hose to that outlet just to isolate it anyway. ...UNBELIEVABLE!

Grrrrr. :mad:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your prompt responses,by the way,guys. I am hurting for time today.I still have to drive it a little today and check it before I drive to LV.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
i would bet the mechanic left the petcock loose. it happens.

though with enough oil and sludge on that AC canister down their, it slips and slides out of its holding bracket. suppose its possible it might have fallen down on the petcock ear and turned it slightly.

i know that petcock is not easy to get at, or turn. so i would say it was just left loose by accident.

also, you've got to love how that coolant just runs down the radiator support to the driver side and dumps out while your waiting for it with a pan under the petcock XD

sure with it was easier to get a piece of hose on that thing.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nall_One:
After an interruption when a friend stopped by,it's all back together,so now I'm going to give it a wash and continue checking it as I drive. It also took me longer because I decided to clean what I could now that the shroud had been removed. Got a lot of dust,grime,and mud off. ...We'll decide tomorrow morning whose car we'll take to Vegas.

Yes,that canister is really close on mine.That's why I inquired about vibration possibly being the culprit upstream.

Thank all of you. I can certainly go elsewhere,but you guys know these MN12 cars inside out. :)

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
It wouldnt vibrate loose .. it was probably just not tightened all the way.

I sometimes use a UV light to look for coolant leaks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It wouldnt vibrate loose .. it was probably just not tightened all the way.

I sometimes use a UV light to look for coolant leaks.
Wow.Interesting and cool. I gather the "florescent" fluid picks up well under the light?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
also, you've got to love how that coolant just runs down the radiator support to the driver side and dumps out while your waiting for it with a pan under the petcock XD
I discovered if you jack it up on the left side of the car only to drain, it wont do that. It is a little tight to get under there, but all the coolant components can be accessed with the left side only off the ground.

Al

1 - 14 of 14 Posts