TCCoA Forums banner

On n off shutter, no shift into overdrive

2K views 21 replies 4 participants last post by  WildBill4point6 
#1 ·
ok so heres my newest problem. driving on the highway about 3 days ago, no problem was nice and in overdrive, engine light came on and seemed to not be in overdrive. drove it today on the highway and definitly not into overdrive..i can feel it trying to shift into OD but it just wont go. Checked the fluid warm and it seemed ok. i alreayd had plans to get mercon V and new filter from the dealership in a week or 2. was wondering if you guys had any recomendations to check..going to get the check engine light checked tomo n see what it says..would a speed sensor be possibly bad? also it shutters slighty in diff gears but once off then back on the gas it goes away...should i start saving for a rebuild...look for a new/used tranny...or anything you guys nee me to get more info about let me know. 96 4.6 aod 112k miles...i really wish the person before me had taken care of this car im bringing it back from life support it seems...brakes, electrical, suspension (btw rockauto is amazing!!) i have no doubts you guys will steer me right!

#6 ·
The MLPS ( MLPS = Manual Lever Position Sensor , from http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=124074 ) tells the ECU what position the gearshift is in.

*dry* This is used at least partly as the Neutral Safety Switch, so you don't start the car up in gear while you're underneath it.

It's also the Backup Light Switch.

AND - it tells the ECU that you're in D/OD and not 2nd or 1st.

RwP

#8 ·
I had the same issue with mine, fluid and filter change took care of the shudder. Changing the MLPS took care of the shifting issue.
I think V8Nick answered that question.

A filter and full fluid change with Mercon V first, and then if necessary, adjust and then replace the MLPS.

If that doesn't fix it, find a later model 4R70W and refresh it, then swap trannies. While doing that, evaluate what you want for the car, and possibly replace with a higher stall torque converter.

RwP

#9 ·
Had the dealer do my MerconV and filter yesterday and it solved my low speed shudder when shifting from first to second or second to third, just like the shop manual said it would. Got the car this spring with 50000 miles on it, and I am sure that was the original 19 year old fluid. As a side note, last week, one of my original 19 year old tires blew out when making a turn in town, foprtunately not when on the highway. There was still plenty of tread left so I admittedly pushed my luck there. So now, new top end Michelins and new tranny fluid and the Cougar is happier. Like oil changes I decided to let the dealer do the fluid flush and change, as the labor was not all that much more than the fluid and filter costs. And since I don't have a tire buster and balancer in my garage same goes for the tires. It's okay to pamper yourself sometimes. Anyway, today I will at least install my own rear shocks myself, which will be ridiculously easy to do.

#13 ·
Its on the side of the transmission. I don't know of a way to check it. I can only tell you what was going on with my car. My transmission would just randomly shift out of overdrive. Sometimes it wouldnt shift into overdrive at all. And that was after i changed the filter and fluid. I then changed the mlps, which I was advised to do by other members on this site, and the problem was cured.

#19 ·
Jack the back end of the car up and put the wheels up in the air (so that you don't have to worry about it rolling).

Put the car in reverse (Motor NOT running!)

Have someone stand behind the car and let you know about the backup lights. As you adjust it, they should go on and off. For a 'laying on the ground underneath' adjustment, center it from the two sides that they turn off from (in the center of the on area).

For a slightly better adjustment, with the foot on the brake (and the car in the air!) have them try to start it in PARK and NEUTRAL both. This may work better if you pull the ECC fuse so it WON'T start, but will crank.

Or there's the service manual way, but it requires a specific tool from Ford.

For the service manual way, someone may pipe in with the exact size of the tool and the instructions for that.

RwP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.