TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone mind posting their T-bird or Cougar weights, plus a short list of what you did to make it lighter?

Just curious how far one could realistically reduce the weight of an MN12 down to without getting into the exotic materials.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
As far as I know, I have the lightest Thunderbird......but things I did, no one in their right mind would do to save 1 pound.

But I basically stripped everything off of my car, and only the essentials for safety are going back in(drag strip safety that is).

I have thought of putting a list together, but that will take some time.
I'm sure you have, but take a look at my weight removal thread.....I didn't cover every little thing I've done, but if you have any specific questions on what i removed, ask away. :)

oh, and as far as actuall weights, the car started out 3,940 lbs with aftermarket stereo.
4-5 years ago when I started stripping weight, I had the car down to, 2,960 lbs. I was 20 lbs shy of removing 1000 lbs of material, and was able to race the car safely.
I have since dropped at least another 150-200 lbs. since the 2,960.

oh, I also installed an 8 point roll bar and home made through the floor subframe connectors....that added back another 100 lbs....but my C4 tranny neggated that weight, as I used to run a C6.

I plan to lose at least another 200-250 lbs by getting rid of all the glass and installing lexan, dumping the IRS and going to a straight axle, then getting aluminum heads.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I put an entire Mark VIII rear subframe under mine with the '93 Mark aluminum driveshaft and saved like 65 lbs.

Some other good things to do and savings:
Teksid Block - 85 lb
Eliminate 3 Cats & Resonator - 45 lb
Fiberglass Hood - 40 lb
Smaller Battery - 20 lb
Eliminate Spare - 20 lb
Fiberglass Trunk Lid - 15 lb
Plastic Intake (if you don't already have it) - 15 lb
9.5" or 10" Torque Converter - 10 lb
Headers - 10 lb

All that is worth almost 350 lbs! Those are just off the top of my head...

·
Registered
523 Posts
quick35ths car on sccoa has a cage and lexan windows and is stripped down to the inner door bracing his is around 2800-2900 but thats going extreme

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
My Cougar weighs 3795 with me in it. I removed the spare tire mumbo-jumbo, and did the TR-3650 swap, lost weight from the trans, and the aluminum driveshaft helped too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts