TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one cylinder that is on the way out. Funny that it's on the other bank which blew the head gasket. I found a brand new 3.8 at a locl parts house for $2000.00. Should I by the brand new engine or do somethng else with this?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
What about this cylinder is "going out"? Compression? burnt valve? bad spark plug? Need more info.

Secondly, what year is this car? Is it a 1988 like your description says?

$2000???? you could buy another car for that much! I understand its an aftermarket rebuilt engine, but that is too much to spend on these cars. I would try and find a used 96-98 shortblock. Strong buggers, and a direct swap.
-Thomas

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it's an 88 with the 3.8. The engine I was referring to is not a rebuilt, but a brand new factory engine. I would like more info on the 4.6L direct swap. Any links would be helpful. I would like to keep the car. I have other, newer vechiles, but I like driving the T-bird for some reason.

·
5,650 Posts
Yeah, it's an 88 with the 3.8. The engine I was referring to is not a rebuilt, but a brand new factory engine. I would like more info on the 4.6L direct swap. Any links would be helpful. I would like to keep the car. I have other, newer vechiles, but I like driving the T-bird for some reason.
FYI a "brand new" factory rebuild is just a remanufactured engine. Ford doesn't make NEW 3.8's for these cars anymore.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I happen to live very close to a Hawaii Racing outlet. I was just walking through the store and asked about a 3.8 sitting in an engine stand. I asked how much and they said around 2G's, I asked why so much, they said because it was a new engine not a re-built. But, here is the link. about half way down. Not sure what they meant, but if it's not a whole heck of a lot of work, I would be interested in something with a bit more power.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
yeah, def too much. and that looks like the older intake, like pre-96. maybe the heads are different

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
:double post:

·
Registered
917 Posts
sell the car you have now and buy an equal year Turbo Coupe or an early SC or a 96-7 4.6 LX.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
MeanGene, you don't say what you have for a budget. Maybe you ought to buy my daughter's 88 T-Bird for spares and the running engine. But, then I'd have to find her another car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Be careful

MeanGene,

It would useful to know more about the fsailure of the one cylinder. I thought my 94 3.8 had a bad cylinder too- and I'd had the head gaskets done 9,000 miles ago, but it turned out I'd put too much tension on the spark plug wires and one had pulled the boot and connector clip off the wire!

Look into the whole siuation with engine, but at the $2,000 level for the engine plus labour- $!,200? to do the swap, I suspect you may be better off as others have mentioned and just start with another car with a good engine. Ford seem to have sorted the 3.8 for 96-97 but also, you could switch to the 4.6, which seems to be a really good engine- very smooth and about 60 additional HP.

Cheers,

Bambi B

1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8 (106,000)
1994 Lincoln MK VIII (58,000)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts