TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be able to do a breakstand and it would be 2 tires. Now its just this peg legged crap. I got a 97 4.6 w/ TA. did somethign go wrong?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Might have worn out the clutches in the trac loc rear end possibly? Kit to fix this from FRPP is $50. Left the catalog in the car or I would give you part #.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Your car doesn't have a Trac-lok rear end. (not available with traction control). If you wan't 2 wheel squeal, you need a trac-lok rear end.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I have a 96 bird with out trac lock. I have gotten both mine to spin before too. It depends on what way the raod leans i think and how long you have been driving. Seems that if the car is cold it will spin both tires.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
my old open 3.27 rear end did the same thing. sometimes it just felt like burning both tires. the road conditions under each tire have to be exactly the same and you have to be going straight, otherwise youll get one tire fire.

step up to a traction lok 3.73 or 4.10 rear end, thats what i say :D

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
For j-rob

What do you think about going to a 3.55? I know i can't buy the whole thing from ford like that but just the gears? Think its worth it or would I be better off just putting the money towards something else? I do alot of expressway driving so I dont know if I want to go to a 3.73.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
if you do alot of highway driving, a 3.55 would be a good choice. try to find a rear end that has traction lok, either from a 4.6(some) or an SC(all) and grab the gears from anywhere and have them installed.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I disagree J-Rob. He's already got a 3.27 in the 97. A 3.55 won't even be noticable. Go for the 3.73. I did it in mine and it made a definite feelable difference. I wish I'd gone for 4.10s now though since it's not a daily driver anymore. :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
burn out???

You got your bird to light em up when it was stock???
I have a 94 T-bird and i can't burn out on dry pavement.
If there is any moisture on the ground at all ( even morning dew) then a can light em up right through an intersection and further.....is something wrong with my bird???
should I be able to peel out on dry pavement with a stock 4.6?

·
Registered
72 Posts
yes your bird is broken....
mine stock would chirp the tires from a dead stop floored. and i could powerbrake like no other with 3.08 gears even. now with a flowmaster system (muffler T section taken off, baically i just have the pipe from the 3rd cat back to the differential ;)) it likes to burn tires from a stand still now.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
that doesnt mean his bird is broken

brand new marauders with that cobra motor cant even knock the wheels loose when its put to the floor, there can be a lot of other reasons why he doesnt break them loose....I know since i put my subs in its harder to knock them loose, and depending on what tires he has, maybe he gets better traction than you, if your not grabbing pavement, it just means your getting negative traction, it doesnt just mean your car is more powerful.....

·
Registered
437 Posts
SC Trac-Loc's

The Trak-Loks in SC are all Meduim Duty (MD). I've shreaded 2 OEM MD Track-Loks in my '89 XR-7! They might work fine behind a modded 4.6, but they can't take the tq of an SC! At the very least, you should rebuild a MD Trac-Lok to HD specs. I believe that involves adding 2 clutch disks. Don't know if that's per side, or total.

If you want a differential that you'll never have to reaplce, get the FRPP Torsen! They're gear-on-gear, so there's nothing to wear out. They are also smooth as silk.

I have an Auburn Cone in my car now, & it transferrs tq very oddly. Also, I can feel BOTH cones slip about 1/2 revolution when I get on it.

68COUGAR

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you have a mechanically stock 4.6 and you can't light em up then you're not doin something right. I have a mechanically stock 95 and I just got new tires, it lights em up easy. I have a system that weighs about 150 pounds and I had someone in the backseat that weighed about 150, but I can still burn em. If you got alot of weight in the trunk get rid of it, then put it into manual 1st and you should be able to spin the tires.

·
Registered
72 Posts
yeah you gotta manually put it in first to light em up. my car wont do it in drive, just manual 1st
it seems like it slipps less in 1st than drive. i dunno

·
Registered
246 Posts
burn outs

ok i will try in first
but right now the tranny is dripping so will take care of that before runnig her too hard

i am running 255/60/15

would those stop the burn out?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
my car is a 96 thats all stock and I light them up in drive. Just turn the A/C off and the trac-assistance. (whatever its called) Then just hold the brake and push on the gas and when they start spinning really good remove the foot from the brake and pull off the line/stop sign/stop light.

Normally I can get them to smoke accross the whole intersection. Make everyone look at you and get pissed cuz they cant see anything anymore.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts