TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone is going to say "It's not possible" and "You'd be wasting your time", but I've been toying with the idea of dropping a 6.8 liter V-10 into my '97. It's part of Ford's modular motor family (4.6, 5.4, 6.8). I know this is the place to ask these questions, so I was wondering, the physical size of the engine aside, what would be the biggest hurdles to completing this swap? Please don't waste time posting "it's a bad idea" or "it won't work". I'm looking for help to find out what would have to be done electronically, and transmission-wise, as well as motor information. I know where to get the motor, as well, $3,995.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'm no expert,

But as far as I know, all the V-10's were Coil on Plug setups, so You'd have to convert over to that, but you'd have to run the whole v10 PCM and all that stuff anyway.

Another thing I've noticed, the intake plenums are HUGE on them, so definatly a custom intake or a really big cowl hood :)

Like I said, no expert, just some ideas

I think it would be awsome to see it done, Good Luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i read the specs on the V10. The bore and stroke are identical to the 5.4, and i know the 5.4 fits. i think the biggest mechanical hurdle would be mounting the engine, and relocating the radiator if necessary. and making the headers fit of course. but if i understand correctly, the 5.4 and the 6.8 are roughly the same height and width. the length is the concern. but the transmissions are the same as the 5.4, and the 5.4 requires a Cobra flexplate or something like that to bolt up. and i know a serious transmission overhaul is required. just tossing the idea around in my head.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
There are a lot cheaper ways to go fast. The V-10 might have the same bore and stroke, but the K-member on the MN12 is very picky about what motors it will let sit above it. Also, the firewall very well could be an issue, headers would have to be custom fabbed, etc. The list would be endless and a positive displacement blower will more than make the v-10's torque.

·
Don't call me a Newbie
397 Posts
Also, the firewall very well could be an issue...
From the size of the dent they put in the passengers side floor of an F-250, just to be able to fit the V-10...I think you would need to start an install with a really, Really, REALLY big hammer... :tongue:

And, as has been stated earlier, I know this subject has been flogged to death a time or two in the past. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'd probably be better off going with the 5.4L. Sounds like the V10 is more work than I would be interested in. I have a habit of starting things and not finishing them, like the '73 sailboat and convertible '89 Jetta in my back yard.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'd probably be better off going with the 5.4L. Sounds like the V10 is more work than I would be interested in. I have a habit of starting things and not finishing them, like the '73 sailboat and convertible '89 Jetta in my back yard.
Drop the top on the Jetta, fill it with topsoil and use it as a planter. . . . that's all it's good for.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
if you do enough searching around here you'll find out that the 5.4 isnt such a good choice for the mn-12 either.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,578 Posts
if you have 4K to spend on a motor already, you'd probably do really well with the explorer motor and a supercharger for somewhere around that price. you'd have real nice power output. As well you'd be able to finish it in a far more reasonable amount of time. so you'd be far less likely to turn the car into a sailboat:)

I'd say certainly anything can be done if your committed to doing it. I saw a late model mustang with a V10 in it on ebay a few months back. big cowl hood and alot of custom parts. It was complete and running, but it didnt look like they paid too much attention to the details.
I imagine if you really wanted to do it up, you could fabricate a tube chassis for the front end. Eliminate the shock towers and run a coilover suspension. Then you could put whatever the heck you want in there.
It really depends on what your goal is. If you want a fun fast car. there are more than enough options to get you there. If you want tot build something super unique than the v10 could be a great option. it would just take alot more time and money to get it finished.
Thats my 2.5 cents:D

·
Registered
76 Posts
5.4/6.8 differences

The 6.8L has a balance shaft in the left cam cover to balance out the common pin V-10 crank (72 degree firing versus 90 on the V-8's). It may be into the master cylinder where the 5.4 wouldn't be. In addition you'd need to fab an oil pan. The 5.4 can use a T-bird or MK VIII oil pan, the V-10 cannot. Intake and exhaust has already been covered..... The V-10 also runs a 4R100/5R110 behind it so the PCM is configured for that trans.. A 4R70W will physically bolt up to the V-10 but the electronics are significantly different. It may be feasible but it would require some investigation to convert the truck trans electronics to be compatible with a 4R70W. Putting a 4R100/5R110 in a MN-12 would be a total cut-up of the car, this is a significantly larger trans than the 4R70W. You could put a manual behind it and alleviate that issue but then you'd be dealing with clutch pedals (SC would work) plus the trans and shifter itself... Cooling system, extending A/C and P/S lines, it could be done but it seems like a lot of work to add significant weight to the front end of an already heavy front end car... There are more package friendly ways to get torque and power... If your only goal is to have something no-one else has then so be it but I'd imagine the cost of the engine (you mentioned $3995) plus the cost of all the peripheral stuff that would need to change would make this cost prohibitive in the long run.... My opinion only...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.