TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine told me that by removing the restrictor plate, you can gain a lot of horsepower. Do the 4.6s have restrictor plates, and if so, where are they? Or is he just making up something for me to root around with?

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Unless your car is a NASCAR, you don't have a "restrictor plate", lol... Just playin w/ ya. I think what he's referring to is the air silencer in the fenderwell. Removing that will free up little to no horsepower. All it does is improve throttle response.

Jay

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I see not resemblance of the Air Silencer and something called a "plate". Any chance he's talking about........ ehhhh I have no idea what he's talking about. Maybe he meant adding a restrictor plate between the EGR valve and the upper plenum?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he explained it roughly to be something like a "gasket" between the intake manifold and the block that restricts the amount of air going to the engine. he talks a lot more than he should, but i was curious on this one.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Maybe he means adding a spacer to the TB. There is no "plate" between the intake and heads that I know of :confused:

Methinks your friend should read up on how a 4.6 is put together. Next thing you know he'll tell you to add an electric supercharger and some Mustang headers :D

If you want a power boost, then look into the PI swap, or an Explorer engine.

Jay

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Well, if he meant intake tube, not intake manifold. And if he meant Plastic box instead of "gasket" then he may have been talking about the silencer, as FordMan said. But thats a lot of "IF".

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe he means adding a spacer to the TB. There is no "plate" between the intake and heads that I know of :confused:

Methinks your friend should read up on how a 4.6 is put together. Next thing you know he'll tell you to add an electric supercharger and some Mustang headers :D

If you want a power boost, then look into the PI swap, or an Explorer engine.

Jay
he already mentioned the electric supercharger

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I'd suggest finding smarter friends . . .
Or just don’t take his word on technical stuff. My uncle likes to talk a lot of smack and tries to pretend he knows a lot of stuff but it’s usually 99% BS.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
he already mentioned the electric supercharger
Then I would recommend reading through the posts here and asking us questions and let your friends say what they want. I'm not out to bash people, but sometimes it's better to let someone speak their peace and move on. Then when you smoke them in a race you can enlighten them as to where you found the real info, lol...

But I also have the blower from my old furnace if you would like to buy that. It's 5 times the size of the normal electric supercharger :tongue: Just get some dryer duct from Lowes and plumb it in. And don't forget to add the hot-air intake using the cone filter in the engine bay or you'll miss the real powa!

Let us know what your plan is for the car and we can guide you in the right direction and save you some pain and money in the long run. I know I would have wasted a ton of $$ on mine had I not found this place.

Jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.