TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard would it be and what parts are needed to make an open diff into a trac loc? Could I just get a rebuilt Trac Loc unit and swap it in or is there a lot more to it than that?
Thanks.
Scott

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Cheapest way is to get a mustang traction lock and machine the gears. Otherwise you need an SC traction lock. I do suggest new bearings while you have it apart. I generally charge $250 in labor to build one if that gives you an idea of what it takes. You will need some special tools to do it right.
Alan

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have been searching and have not gotten a convincing answer on this: is it okay to just leave the circlip off of the axle, and not have the gears machined? I would think there would be no problem unless more is wrong. I read that driller said it was okay, but has there been any problems to anyone's knowledge?

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Registered
336 Posts
I swapped out my open diff in my '95 to a unit from a S/C. Had the clutch pack redone, all new fluids, and a nice set of used 3:55 gears. Probably OK if you use 3:27, but the Trac-Lok is a significant upgrade.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
I just swapped my 7.5 with 3.27s and a TracLok to a 8.8 with 3.55s and a TrakLok. What a BIG difference. I only lost a touch of MPG, too.

But the main point is getting your hands on a SC Diff and getting it put together right.

Tydlwayz may have a few SC diffs available.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I have been searching and have not gotten a convincing answer on this: is it okay to just leave the circlip off of the axle, and not have the gears machined? I would think there would be no problem unless more is wrong. I read that driller said it was okay, but has there been any problems to anyone's knowledge?

Thanks,

Stephen
thats how I run mine.....mustang diff, no clips.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
99 Cobra diff is a better option .

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
There are many Thunderbird V8's out there with Trac-Lok as well; you don't have to limit yourself to finding a Supercoupe.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Tinman, Did the V8s come with 8.8's or 7.5's? I forgot the language on the window sticker of my V6 bird, but I thought it had a 8.8. Was wrong. Just a 7.5 with a TracLok.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
V8's came with 8.8's. IIRC, there are some n/a V6's out there that have 8.8's from the factory but they are not common.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
Easily said,not easily done.
Alan
Is it that they are hard to find?

I got the best deal on ebay .
Got pretty much the whole IRS from a 99 cobra except for brakes ,springs and shocks for 350.00 sold everything but the frame and differential .

The Differential fits right in with my old half shafts , maybe I got lucky .

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,276 Posts
There are many Thunderbird V8's out there with Trac-Lok as well; you don't have to limit yourself to finding a Supercoupe.
I'll second that. And cougars.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Is it that they are hard to find?

I got the best deal on ebay .
Got pretty much the whole IRS from a 99 cobra except for brakes ,springs and shocks for 350.00 sold everything but the frame and differential .

The Differential fits right in with my old half shafts , maybe I got lucky .
The issue is that they are one year only. Very hard to get your hands on. Any 28 spline traction lock carrier will work in the case as long as the side gears are machined for IRS axles. They are easily found.
Alan

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I'll second that. And cougars.
I see 3.8 non-SC in the yards here all the time. In fact the diff in my 95 SC right now is from a 3.8 3.27TL car. All I've seen have disc rears so that is a quick way to tell.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
I see 3.8 non-SC in the yards here all the time. In fact the diff in my 95 SC right now is from a 3.8 3.27TL car. All I've seen have disc rears so that is a quick way to tell.
Yes, but are they 8.8" rears in the 3.8s or like mine was, a 7.5" with 3.27s and a Trakloc?

My 7.5 didn't stand up to my N/A 3.8 with underdrives and a mildly JModded 4R70W. When I splitport the engine, I hate to think in how many pieces the 7.5 would be in.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Yes, but are they 8.8" rears in the 3.8s or like mine was, a 7.5" with 3.27s and a Trakloc?

My 7.5 didn't stand up to my N/A 3.8 with underdrives and a mildly JModded 4R70W. When I splitport the engine, I hate to think in how many pieces the 7.5 would be in.
Yes 8.8 TL. I think the key is the disc brake rears.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts