TCCoA Forums banner

Open diff to Trac Loc

6K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Scott Suzanne 
#1 ·
How hard would it be and what parts are needed to make an open diff into a trac loc? Could I just get a rebuilt Trac Loc unit and swap it in or is there a lot more to it than that?
Thanks.
Scott

#2 ·
Cheapest way is to get a mustang traction lock and machine the gears. Otherwise you need an SC traction lock. I do suggest new bearings while you have it apart. I generally charge $250 in labor to build one if that gives you an idea of what it takes. You will need some special tools to do it right.
Alan

#3 ·
I have been searching and have not gotten a convincing answer on this: is it okay to just leave the circlip off of the axle, and not have the gears machined? I would think there would be no problem unless more is wrong. I read that driller said it was okay, but has there been any problems to anyone's knowledge?

Thanks,

Stephen

#5 ·
I swapped out my open diff in my '95 to a unit from a S/C. Had the clutch pack redone, all new fluids, and a nice set of used 3:55 gears. Probably OK if you use 3:27, but the Trac-Lok is a significant upgrade.

#6 ·
I just swapped my 7.5 with 3.27s and a TracLok to a 8.8 with 3.55s and a TrakLok. What a BIG difference. I only lost a touch of MPG, too.

But the main point is getting your hands on a SC Diff and getting it put together right.

Tydlwayz may have a few SC diffs available.

#8 ·
99 Cobra diff is a better option .

#13 ·
Is it that they are hard to find?

I got the best deal on ebay .
Got pretty much the whole IRS from a 99 cobra except for brakes ,springs and shocks for 350.00 sold everything but the frame and differential .

The Differential fits right in with my old half shafts , maybe I got lucky .

#10 ·
There are many Thunderbird V8's out there with Trac-Lok as well; you don't have to limit yourself to finding a Supercoupe.

#12 ·
V8's came with 8.8's. IIRC, there are some n/a V6's out there that have 8.8's from the factory but they are not common.

#22 ·
Ok ok I get it.

So obviously all the 8.8, 3.8's came to Texas.
Everything's bigger...

#26 ·
just about every cougar or T-bird I have seen that had disk brakes in the rear came with a 8.8 diff whether it was a V6 or V8. in the yard I work in there are 3 cars with a E code (3.27 TL). One is a V8 with drum brakes the other 2 are V6's with disk brakes. all 3 have a 8.8 .

#27 ·
Clint, were they 97s? I think that might be the key here. On the 97 Ford was cheaping out every way they could. All my springs have failed, and one of the replacements too. I can't wait for other things to go south, so am upgrading as fast as I can.

#28 ·
we only have one 97 and the rear was gone before I could check it.

I have a 89 and have had to replace all 4 springs due to failure.

#29 ·
The big thing to remember is that if you put together the rear end without machining the gears, it is almost impossible to get the axles out.

Some people have said that leaving the circlip off makes this moot, but I wonder about the inner CV joint moving around... I know the axle can't come out, but this seems dangerous, somehow.

Wasn't it kdanner that posted about the 'difficulty' of removing the axles, with a bent toward violence? :D

Yeah, here it is...
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=108693

This is pretty good info...

YMMV.

#31 ·
The FMS carriers have the side gears machined already to use in either setup (unless they have really old stock which is doubtful)...

#34 ·
I found a great deal on a rebuilt traction lock unit and installed it into the housing. I am now running a 3.31 gear ratio, testing out how I like it compared to the 3.73, so far so good. I am now debating what 3.55 would do. It is kinda nice have 2 diffs, 1 installed and 1 to play around with.
I did buy a dial indicator with a magnetic base to check the backlash and it was fine. I didn't mess with the pinion gear in the housing, so I didn't play with pinion depth. All and all, I learned a few things with some help the people on here.
Thanx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.