TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting closer to having my Kooks installed. I haven't decided if I'm going to do the exhaust myself, or take it to a nearby shop. If I take it to the shop (about 3 miles away), I'll drive it or have to have it towed. I've heard different opinions about running a car with open headers (throwing off the o2 sensors). Would this short of a distance be enough to cause any problems...other than upsetting the neighbors?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
nah. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
They sell ear plugs. Freedom of speech and so happens a car with open heads is just talking mad shyt

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I done the same thing XR7-4.6 did.. The guy that pulled up beside me in his gt mustang didn't kno what 2 think lol

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds good then. I'm still considering doing it myself...if I can remember how to weld, lol. I was thinkign about putting dumps on it too but I figure I'm gonna be running a race muffler so I expect it to be loud enough.

·
Super Moderator
12,075 Posts

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No worries! No A/C here. I never used it so I pulled it. Opens up so much room in the engine bay to work, and the car runs so much cooler without the condenser there. I actually had the old exhaust off and old headers out in a little over an hour.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
Are these headers long enough to not burn an exhaust valve up? If I recall correctly some of our more knowledgable guys didn't recommend running open headers as the possibility of burning an exhaust valve up was possible. It may have been because the car was untuned. I know when I installed my Kooks, that was the reason why I had the car towed to the exhaust shop.

While you've got access run a drain line away from the AC so that the condensation doesn't drip on the header.

See this thread.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=126227
The A/C was not what caused that problem...

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Your neighbors on the other hand, will probably poop themselves. ;)
But it's so much fun! lol

I ran my Cutlass with open headers for about a week. I think I was cool for about 10 minutes.....after that I couldn't stand to drive at any sustained speed for more than a mile and I finished up the exhaust as soon as I could.

But, it's a highly recommended experience to try once. :thumbsup:

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are these headers long enough to not burn an exhaust valve up? If I recall correctly some of our more knowledgable guys didn't recommend running open headers as the possibility of burning an exhaust valve up was possible. It may have been because the car was untuned. I know when I installed my Kooks, that was the reason why I had the car towed to the exhaust shop.
This was the reason I asked. I've heard of this before. Even if I did drive it there, it's like 3 miles away, and I'd take it easy driving there.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna have them do it now though. They want $200 to run the pipe, and that's not including the flanges or muffler or tips. Looks like I need to warm up my welding skills and make use of my friend's pipe bender.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts