TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember, way back in the old days, we used to run open headers on our cars. We would have either no exhaust pipes or very short ones that ended at the doors. They were very loud but I don't think they made the car faster, just loud as he11. How would that affect our cars? I think open headers became illegal in the 70's but we still ran them in the 80's. Any ideas? To date myself, I could climb into the engine compartment of my first car to work on it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
As far as performance, the less restriction the better, and running a completely open exhaust would get you some added horsepower. There is the whole back pressure argument though that should be considered. But the open unrestricted exhaust will not help you out on a stock engine near as much as it would help if you had higher flowing heads and intake manifold. Anyway as far as problems you would have off of running open headers, the obvious one that stands out to me is your lack of O2 sensors. Without a chip or MIL eliminators, you are going to have computer related issues and a constant "Check Engine" light.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
First off, It's illegal, and they've got some large fines for that stuff now.

He would gain HP, and torque. However, his power band would shift upwards, which is not always good thing. As KcBird mentioned, unless you have heas, it won't be worth it, and may make the car slower.

You would need to at least have bungs for the primary 02 sensors, or your car wouldn't run very well because the computer is constantly tuning the car (except at WOT) for best performance. If you give the computer bad readings, the car will run poorly.

·
Registered
615 Posts
sorry to bring back a old post, but just for fun and games during christmas break I was planning to run open headers for about 3 weeks, till school starts back up. I have herd some loud a$$ mustangs not have any problem with tickets or anything, but I am sure open headers would just blow their sound out of the water. Now my concern I figue I would just tie the sensors somewhere for the time being. Will I run lean since the rear sensor will detect no cat? Any damage to my computer or motor in the long run?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Your car would run like crap without the primary O2 sensors reading, and of course, you'd get the check engine light.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I ran open headers about 3 miles from the shop that installed my Kooks to the exhaust guy that matched em up to the exhaust...

I didn't think it was "cool" at all. It was annoyingly loud inside the car and out, rude, distracting and dis-courteous to the other drivers on the road, and can only imagine how it would affect the friendly relationship I have with my neighbors. And of course it is illegal in every state that I've lived in.

But of course I'm an (old) adult.

·
Registered
51 Posts
96 GoldBird said:
I ran open headers ..... It was annoyingly loud inside the car and out, rude, distracting and dis-courteous to the other drivers on the road, and can only imaging how it would affect the friendly relationship I have with my neighbors. And of course it is illegal in every state that I've lived in.
Sweet, I like your style. :skull:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts