• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have a 97 Sport with only 65k on the clock and am ready to start racing her. Right now, all she has is a K&N panel and the third cat removed and replaced by a Magnaflow muffler. My goal is a daily driver than will run a 13.00 flat. Planned mods are:

1) B&M Cooler (already have, need to install)
2) 2.5" exhaust (prolly custom made local)
3) 3.73 FRPP pumpkin
4) 2600 stall converter (approx)

What would you do for the motor? NA route: SVO heads, intake, and cams or S/C route: AED kit? Please vote and elaborate on why. My budget is around $5000. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
i voted for the N/A option...

it's "easy" to bolt on a s/c and get power, but where is the fun in that? with heads, etc, you might get a bit less h/p but it will keep your bottom end in one piece...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I voted for the S/C option:

I have always been a firm believer is superchargers especially the roots style. :D

1. With a supercharger, you can keep the RPM's lower than what is needed for the N/A route.
2. It is a straight bolt on that doesn't require going into the engine.
3. The low-end torque of a roots style supercharger is just awesome. :D
4. Dollar for dollar, the S/C route is cheaper (I think, I haven’t priced them even up lately so the N/A route might be cheaper due to the more readily available heads and intakes)

Since your engine has such low miles on it, I would vote for the AED. It’s very well engineered, and has a proven record. Keep the boost reasonable, and get a good tune and I think you’ll have a very drivable yet very, very fun car to drive. :D

Just MHO. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
798 Posts
I voted for the AED kit, I think "Love Songs by Eaton" would be quite enough to make it all worthwhile. Not to mention the great power and how many head's you will turn

·
AnimeWhore
1,796 Posts
Superchargers are not cheap, and if you're running on a really tight budget, it's very possible NA is a better route. If it was me, I'd wait and save up for a blower. I love the sound of the Eaton roots blower, and the performance of a properly tuned supercharged car can't be beat.
Just remember to keep it at 6lbs for a stock block. Getting boost happy can result in much sadness. ;)

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
Well if by

N/A Route - SVO heads, intake, cams

You mean SVO intake, then why not get a SVO blower to put ontop of SVO heads? You could get a SVO blower for about the same price as the intake.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
You'll have a hard time running a 13.00 with a puny 2600 convertor.
The stall speed of the torque convertor is one of the most important factors to launching a car,and running good 1/4 mile times.
JL

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Litning said:
i voted for the N/A option...

it's "easy" to bolt on a s/c and get power, but where is the fun in that? with heads, etc, you might get a bit less h/p but it will keep your bottom end in one piece...
I think most people here with superchargers find a whole lot of fun in them ;)

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
Palmguy said:

I think most people here with superchargers find a whole lot of fun in them ;)
I'll back that up! :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts