TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a "new" car for my wife.
Found a 2006 Ford Taurus SEL with about 35,000 miles.
Sticker on windshield in a picture says $7944 but listing online says $9,000 - not sure what's going on there.
Any opinions on this gen Taurus - they are everywhere down here so they must not be THAT bad.

Just asking, as I trust this forum more than anything else!

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I have a lot of experience with that vintage Taurus. They are good, reliable work horses. The base Vulcan 3.0 is a reliable engine, the DOHC 3.0 Duratec is a faster choice. All of the old transmission problems that GEN had was corrected by the time 2006 rolled around. The Taurus actually had bigger breaks than our Thunderbirds did.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if everything checks out.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
My mom drives an 06 bull with the 3.0. Has been a solid driver since they got it in 07. It was a promo car. I just swapped out the original plugs/wires and fuel filter about a month back.

·
Super Moderator
7,484 Posts
That is the old body style, same as from 99+. They are known for transmission problems, which are expensive to fix if/when they do go, and mileage does not seem to play a part in when it fails, so it theoretically could die at any time. If it is the OHV engine, it is pathetically underpowered and also a head gasket eater like the 3.8. The DOHC motors have enough power to move it around just fine though, and they are less prone to head gasket failure, but they like to wear out motor mounts, and when the motor mounts fail, they take out the $100 lower radiator hose and leak coolant, so if that isn't caught and dealt with, it could cause engine damage. Another problem those cars are known for is the heater cores clogging up. A temporary fix is to clean it out, but without replacing it, you will be dealing with no heat every year until you replace the heater core, and then when you do replace it, you'll get maybe 5 or 6 years before you are back in the same boat again. With all that being said, there are also plenty of them running around with 200K miles and no issues. My cousin has a 98 Sable that has 230K and has never needed anything other than regular maintenance, but I've also seen many come through the shop with low miles and all the other issues, so basically you are rolling the dice with that car. It could be a great car and give you 200K miles of problem-free service, or it could have major issues tomorrow. For that reason, I would advise to look for something else.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Well said Mikey..I think you just about covered all the issues with the 4th gen Taurus's (2000-2007)..

The only other issues I would mention about that gen are the A/C compressor problems, and rust issues on the back quarters of the car..

IMO..The most reliable Ford Taurus generation was the 2nd gen (1992-1995) with the 3.0L V6..

I've owned several of these, and would not hesitate to take a 2000 mile roadtrip with one.. :)

I would think a 2008-2013 Taurus would be a better choice than that 2006 you're looking at, but who knows..I'll let someone else chime in on that..

Rayo..

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I was on TCCA (the Taurus counterpart of this site) for 7 years and have only heard about 2 headgasket failures on Vulcan 3.0. Both of them were abused, one was raced in road course events. The transmission issues stopped around 2002-03, I haven't heard of many GEN4s with transmission issues but it has been awhile since I paid attention to Taurus models.

Now the old 3.8L cars, yes, headgasket city. I speak from experience and had that repair done when I had my 1992 Wagon.

Go to http://www.taurusclub.com and check out info from current owners.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Well I will add the Wifes 01 Taurus is a "winner " of the bunch , Has been a good car for us , good gas mileage and nice power from the 3.0 Duratec ;) That being said we no now to take good care of a investment .

·
Registered
531 Posts
My mom has a white 2001 Taurus SES with @65K miles on it.

The front left ABS sensor recently went bad, but nothing else so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts