TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I've seen this subject motioned here before, but I don't think anybody here has tried them yet.

$200.00 for eight plugs is a little steep.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I don't like the odds of that bet for $200; I'd try it if it was about half that much.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
If I was going to spend another $200.00 on my ignition system I would through in 8 autolite plug's and THIS MSD BOX.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
pulstarplug said:
the incoming voltage (which has nowhere to go) heats up ignition components including the spark plug
The last time I checked voltage does not heat up anything.... heat is only generated by resistance to current flow... :leftright

And I usually shy away from places that say, "Tests at an independent laboratory"... give me a name or take a walk. :D

Complete BS (IMHO). It looks like all they did was make COP into CIP (Coil in Plug). :D

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
exactly....only actual current-flow will heat up components.....just like a car audio amplifier.....disconnect a speaker, and then crank up the source signal....the voltage at the speaker output terminals will increase accordingly, but no power will be generated since no current is flowing...therefore the amp will not heat up anymore than what it normally does when it is idling :D

·
Super Moderator
10,578 Posts
The plug does heat up a lot...

But only at the point the spark is hitting the electrode. Think TIG welder; the tungsten tips wear out in the same way; plasma erosion of the electrode.

The heat there is the big reason for both platinum and copper core plugs.

The platinum resists the plasma from the 'Ballistic Electrons' being driven across the gap at 100kV+. The copper core makes sure the thin platinum plating doesn't get vaporized. Non plated plugs get replaced a lot in our cars.

Ever notice the two plugs original to our cars?

One has platinum plating on the ground electrode, one on the tip. Is F*rd cheap or what? :D

These plugs are BS; adding another coil in series is going to stretch the spark out, but adding spark duration to our systems really isn't needed. It shouldn't hurt anything...but that plug also looks like it has pieces that make an additional gap in series, which our systems already have. (our other plug firing on the exhaust stroke.) If you have massive oil fouling, this would probably make it work until it breaks the rest of the way...

The extra gap thing is how tasers work as well... :)

IMHO our coils are pretty good... I've built some cool things from ones that were partially bad. Amazing what you can blow up with a 555 timer chip, a car battery, and one of these coils... The coils break at about 20W of power; that makes this wild looking purple plasma. (DTTAH!) The chevy ones are cool too, but break easier. :D

If our coils won't light it, it can't be lit, AFAIK. :) They go bad, but I wouldn't run my hand down one of the wires to look for a leaky spot! (I bet they don't teach that trick in auto mech anymore...)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMHO our coils are pretty good... I've built some cool things from ones that were partially bad. Amazing what you can blow up with a 555 timer chip, a car battery, and one of these coils... The coils break at about 20W of power; that makes this wild looking purple plasma. (DTTAH!) The chevy ones are cool too, but break easier. :D)
wow. i thought i was crazy for screwing around with AA batteries and disposable camera flash coils. lol. im a *****.

OK so my theory on these things seems to be a popular one. thanks for the opinions.

·
Super Moderator
10,578 Posts
wow. i thought i was crazy for screwing around with AA batteries and disposable camera flash coils. lol. im a *****.
Those just hurt like heck...

a coil running from a car battery will melt stainless!

Look up a 'Jacobs Ladder' ; the GM coils have towers with exposed electrodes, and you can make a JL just by wrapping wire around the posts, and fanning it out to about 12" at the top...

As you crank the frequency up, the spark will travel up the wires, until it runs out of power, and extinguishes...then it will start over from the bottom.

I used stainless wire from a broken antenna...when I hit the coils sweet spot, it went all the way to the top, turns purple, about half an inch wide, and started melting the wire. (Did not extinguish!) It ran down the side of the wire, as I'm trying to shut it down... :D

It blew the coil about then, but at least I know how far it will go...:D

BTW, DTTAH is don't try this at home; I'm used to working with HV...

·
Registered
940 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
My dad runs these on his 02 bonneville and they did make a nptable difference in fuel mileage. A little more power maybe, but u usually have to shorten the gap to get a proper fire out of it. Also since the plug has a fairly large resistor in it they tend to cause interesting computer issues. I guess if your plannin on having the car tuned they might be ok. For example my dads car now cant determine lowest idle.. the reps from pulstar say its a common issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts