TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mr. Jiggy Fly
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my bird to the dealer to get it checked out and they told me that the MAF sensor isn't getting a reading whatsoever, and its throwing a EGR code and a Lean code, if I replaced the MAF, would this fix my problem? They want $411 to replace the MAF, but i am thinking that I could get it cheaper than they could. The car is very sluggish and idles weird, and it does run real lean. Is there anything else I should replace besides the MAF??

·
8,239 Posts
are you freggin crazy man?

A maf sensor can be bought for under 100 bucks, way under 100 bucks.

I bet someone on the site would give you one for like the cost of shipping.

You can put one in with a screwdriver and two minutes of your time.

Is the sensor plugged in?

Wow, the dealer wants to bend you over, and thats sad. It takes two minutes to replace a maf sensor, if that.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
First things first, what code numbers is the car spitting out?

If the MAF is dead, you can certainly replace it a lot cheaper than $411.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You know how it works, $80 for the part, and the rest to pay to put it in.
I would just get one from Dan and put it in yourself.
Save yourself about 300 bucks.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
You should ask them for the specific code #'s. The EGR could be a different issue

$411 is way too high for a MAF job.

I think Dan's price on a new MAF is around $150. Takes 2 minutes to put in.

Some Ford Dealers mark their parts up considerably. Sounds like you found one of them.

You can buy cheaper MAF's at places like AutoZone, but they aren't as good, IMO

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I've got the original MAF from my '95 4.6 laying around... I don't think the housing is perfect (ran it over, so part of it is a little out of shape) but the electronics are fine... I'm going to be coming right by Pittsburgh sometime tomorrow (Saturday) on I-70 on my way to NY... I'm going to be towing 45' of trailer, so I'm not willing to leave the interstate, but if you're interested, and want to meet me at a reat area, I'll toss it in my truck... Last I knew it worked fine. Just upgraded to a '02 GT MAF when I did the Exploder swap.

If you do want to meet and have the 'Bird, I could plug my PC into your car and see what the 'puter is reporting... We could even change the MAF and see if that makes a change...

I'll be leaving Missouri by 8 or 9 am Central. Let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts