TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a black 97 tbird and im planning on paiting my rubber coated interior pieces, but i cant decide if i want to use a glossy black or a metallic silver since my car is a le? all opinions welcome

·
Registered
64 Posts
when you say black are you talking about your interior color? if your interior is black i would recommend a dark metallic silver, then add just a little flattening agent to the clearcoat to give it a satin finish.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I don't have any comments on color choice but just wanted to warn you. Are you aware of the difficulties of painting those "rubber coated" pieces? You have to get all the rubber off before painting and it can be difficult. If yours are in decent condition you might even consider finding some from a junkyard to practice on.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
have you got any full size pics of your car? It'd help in determining colors.

Besides, I don't think I've ever seen a black LE! I bet it'd look great.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
give me a day, and i will show you what the silver looks like. lol. i think it will look great. hope to have it finished by tonight.
this is what my interior looks like as of now...

and my progress thus far...

tell you what, that dimmer was a major pita... but worth it, definitely worth it.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
no, you dont have to take the rubber off. you just have to lay down every coat LIGHTLY. or else it will cause teh rubber to bubble up. it works, with patience. put three coats on, let it DRY for aobut 3 hours. then sand lightly with 800 grit to smooth it out, add another coat or two. sand with 1000 or 1500, and 3-4 coats of clear... xsand with 2000-2500 grit, and go over it with polishing compound for a nice shine.

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
no, you dont have to take the rubber off. you just have to lay down every coat LIGHTLY. or else it will cause teh rubber to bubble up. it works, with patience. put three coats on, let it DRY for aobut 3 hours. then sand lightly with 800 grit to smooth it out, add another coat or two. sand with 1000 or 1500, and 3-4 coats of clear... xsand with 2000-2500 grit, and go over it with polishing compound for a nice shine.
YOU DO HAVE TO SAND IT OFF. Otherwise it is a matter of time before bubbling, and the topcoat will flex and flake. Cavy, I have seen the pieces done in gloss black, and I think it looks amazing that way. As I told Tyler in a different thread, the silver on grey dash will give little contrast and not look as well.

-Joel

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Well there isn't much contrast between the Cougars dash color and the rubber coated parts and I think it looks good.

That said, personally I'm soooo sick and tired of the whole "millennium silver" product craze of the last 7~8 years. It's done to death. These days it just reminds me of the early eighties. I don't like having flashbacks. lol

That said, I’m not crazy about the idea of gloss black either. Personally I'd go for a mild semi-gloss black finish.

Given it's a black car with the gray interior silver may well look decent and natural. I wouldn't dare suggest it with any other interior colors though!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
well, mine is a silver car, with soon to be black interior (granted it doesnt break in half from all the rust) but i will have it all put together later or sometime over the weekend, and i will have pics. i am positive that it will look amazing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
have you got any full size pics of your car? It'd help in determining colors.

Besides, I don't think I've ever seen a black LE! I bet it'd look great.
im not sure how to post pics but i can email you a few if you would like...when i say le i mean limited edition. i just wanted to make sure i was using that the proper way. also the previous owner took the limited edition stripe off..i wish i knew how to get it back on there

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Sure, send em to me at traveler62 AT cableone.net

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I think that Ford used to have a tape kit, but its no longer available. You'll have to either paint it, or make your own tape kit. I'm working on making some tape stripes for my 97 T-bird. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I don't know if its rare or not. Yours is the first I've seen though. I got your pics though. Nice car. What color did you want the LE stripes to be? I ask all these questions because I'm kind of an LE nut myself. You can see pics of mine at the link in my signature. Anyway, I'll post the pics you sent so others can see it.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
if i recall right, the black le had a red stripe, not silver. i have only seen blue, green silver and black. blue was te only one i ever saw with a silver stripe. anyways, here are my pictures. i will have better ones once i finish my door switch panel.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sinhumane, that looks great but my dash is gray so im not sure how it would look on mine....im thinking about painting the rubberized pieces the same color as the exterior of my car

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.