TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 96 cobra block with 17k miles on it, but it was involved in an accident.

"Apparently", the motor mount was jammed up into the skirt of the block, making a crack in it. Since it is a teksid aluminum block, it should be able to be welded back up... but also since it is an aluminum block, couldn't the force of that impact have damaged everything inside??

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't looked at it yet. I'll be buisy with work until probably Friday.

Assuming someone doesn't stop me by yelling "BAD IDEA", I'll go check it out. I have never tried to turn a block before without heads on it... How hard should it be to turn?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Blocks aren't that hard to come by if that one is cracked just look for another

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'd shy away from a cracked alum block. Yes it can be welded... im not sure which aluminum a teksid is actually made of but the actual crack is probably a simple repair. The issue is that aluminum blocks have very tight tolerances compared to iron. its possible that some of the geometry was offered. If you're considering this for a full rebuild where you can blueprint it and check the deck, Id say go for it as long as you check the crank rotation and everything feels smooth. Check with and without plugs for compression and ease of motion. I wouldnt look at it if you just wanna weld the crack and try to run it. unless its just a stupid good deal.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'll stay away then :)

Mods, feel free to delete this thread if you want, it has served its purpose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts