TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Addendum...

I should add that the Custom Wheels Market does carry other brands of tires, just that Nitto and Falken are their "preferred" brands.

What I'm looking for in a tire is basically a 245/45 or 50 for 17's, something that's a good preformance tire, yet still has year round capabilities. I'm not looking for el-cheapos, yet not looking to spend a fortune. So, any suggestions on good tires out there fitting those general criteria is appreciated.

Thanks again

·
Registered
278 Posts
BFGoodrich Comp T/A's are a good tire along with Bridgestoan Potenza Pole Position SO-2's or SO-3's. Mind you the SO-3's are expensive. What kind of wheel are you getting. My all time favorite and I will be getting them in the future, is none other than............American Racing's Torque Thrust IIs.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Arghhhhhhhhhhh, noooooooooo. Get NITTO.

BFG Comp T/A's suck donkey balls for traction

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's really the crux...

I'm looking for a reasonable balance between traction/grip and tread life. Are nitto's good in those respects?

On the Comp T/A note...i was reading about them on tirerack where previous buyers have posted their opinions. I did get the impression that they weren't exactly road huggers.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
My experience with Nittos is limited. Are looking for the more street type tire or the Nitto Drag Radial? The drag radials are the limit of my experience and they hold wonderfully on dry pavement. But if there's some water be careful with your foot or your turns could get squirrely pretty quick. BTW, I kinda like those wheels. Good choice. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Street Tire

I'm looking at this one specifically: The little brother of your Drag Radial.
http://www.nittotire.com/tire_nt555_overview.asp

I was also considering the 450, as a better option for yearly driving, but they don't have it in the size i want. Also, though I'll undoubtedly be driving the bird in poor weather I always take it easy in those situations, so I figure this tire can handle that. What do you think?

Thanks for the wheel support. I think it'll do nicely, though only time will tell. I'll probably be ordering everything this week so I'll post some pics in the Exterior Forum when i get them. :)

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Yeah, I think those 555s should do niely. So what exactly are you putting these on anyways?

·
Registered
52 Posts

If you get the 555's then definetly the nittos but if it a different series get the falkens they have a pretty agressive tread and are pretty sticky when warmed up and will last longer. J.J

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Responding to Both...

I responded to BlownMerc before on the wheel question. I'm getting some Binno Rims.
http://www.customwheelsmarket.com/b93077cb.html

Binno Website: www.binnocalifornia.com

The Custom Wheels Market is actually run by Binno, so in essence I'm buying the wheels direct. I just want to take advantage of their tire package because then i get free shipping. In addition to mounting a balancing, lugs, tire locks/key, and valve stems. All inclusive.

So, the only decision left is to decide between the Nitto 555s, or the Falken GRB-FK-451, and I may do that based on which one lasts longer. Raw Chicken, do you have any knowledge to compare the tread wear of those two?

On their respective websites, I've found that the Nittos have a UTQG Treadwear 300, and the Falkens are at 280. I figure this is some index as to the expected life or something, any help? Also, the Falkens are traction rated at AA, compared to the A of the Nittos, how big a difference is that really?

Thanks ,

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts