TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why? Because I want to know if there is any bad rap about them. I have had my 304 stainless on my MarkVIII for less than 3 years and just yesterday I blew a hole the size of a quarter in the very front primary on the passenger side where the bung is for the air injection. I put a magnet on the bung itself and it is stainless. The weld around the base of the stub that blew out seems to be slightly magnetic leading me to believe that 308 filler was not used to weld that bung in which would confirm that an idiot at Kooks put these headers together. Am I right in my assumptions? :mad: Now all of a sudden people are telling me that the flanges crack and the fittings fail on these headers. I don't get it. I thought Kooks was reputable. If they are not, why does Bill continue to sell these crappy headers? Someone inspire me.

·
Super Moderator
12,254 Posts
I added your experience to this thread.

I found where you posted it on LOD this morning. Sorry for your luck. Got to burn some sage or something and get that curse lifted!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TrunkMonkey. Unfortunately on my Mark VIII, the A/C dripping onto the header is not the issue. My initial thoughts is that it is a crappy type of weld on the header bung for the air injection. 308 filler which is what should have been used to do that weld is not magnetic. My magnet detected slight magnetism on that welding at the base.

·
Super Moderator
12,254 Posts
Driller had his crack in OCT 2010 where the pipes meet the collector. I have a pic but can't get it to upload to Photobucket. I guess I'll reboot the PC and try again.

·
Super Moderator
12,254 Posts
Now that photobucket is working...

Here's the picture that I have of Driller's cracked Kooks Header.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
I have heard a rumour that the Kooks headers made for these cars are no longer made by Kooks. I was told that Kooks sold the templates/jigs to another company and that company is building the headers exclusively for SCP as the original agreement with Kooks. That said, I have had my Kooks on my car since2006 and have had no issues with them.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Nope kooks make them but bill has the rights to be the only one that can sell them, I just ordered a set and I've gotta pick them up from kooks

·
The Parts Guy
7,344 Posts
The only issue I've had with them is that the JetHot coating (on the mild steel headers) sucks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well at this point, I'm not sure what direction I am going to go but I should be making a call to SCP but haven't had the time in the past week because I have been busier than hell at work. I know for sure that I will be watching what Temple Performance has going on for the Mark VIIIs because he was recently trying to gauge interest in producing longtubes for these cars. At this point I am tempted to just have the header patched on this car and hold out and see what happens there and put a set of longtubes on the blown8 I am picking up in a couple of weeks. Oh and yeah, this whole exciting purchase has taken my mind off of the header fiasco a bit. I guess I am use to the car sitting over the winter, but it may have to sit broken for awhile this time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts