TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting some alpine type s 6.5's and I want to mount them in the rear pillars. has anybody done this or seen it done before??? is this possible???

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I'd mount them on the rear deck so they direct towards the rear windshield...I mounted some 6.5 infinitys back there and they work well. Seems the most common place for 5th and 6th speakers. A lot of people go with 6x9s back there and change out their door and rear speakers to 6.5 components.

I think you'd get better sound mounting them on the rear deck rather than cutting and dealing with destroying the pillars. If it was black and the grills were black, might look unique, but if the pillars are anything other than black, I think it would look really out of place.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
825 Posts
Are you just trying to show off as much stereo equipment as you can or do you actually want some sound quality...

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Are you just trying to show off as much stereo equipment as you can or do you actually want some sound quality...
Judging by his setup (and I am not meaning this as an insult in anyway), I'd say he's more into the flash and boom, not necessarily SQ.

that being said, is there even enough room (depth-wise) to mount speakers in the rear pillars. It seems pretty shallow to me.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm going for sound quality and boom............. i don't think there is enough room, i just thought i'd see if anyone else had attempted this project. and if i'm being too flashy for wanting all alpine type s stereo equipment (w/ exception of the amps), so be it.......... i think i'll go ahead and do a rear deck install, ok......so here it is, 6.5"s or 6x9"s ???????

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
bleh.. the rear deck sounds like shyt.... too much flexing and you lose all teh sound quality... you could put a sturdier material in there... i was thinking maybe building boxes for teh corners of teh back window, to jsut wedge in there... be nice looking.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
bleh.. the rear deck sounds like shyt.... too much flexing and you lose all teh sound quality... you could put a sturdier material in there... i was thinking maybe building boxes for teh corners of teh back window, to jsut wedge in there... be nice looking.
couldn't you make a new rear deck out of a thicker material and have it covered?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
thats why i said you could put a sturdier material. but you have to do something, or else they do sound really bad. friend of mine had a cougar, and had speakers on the package shelf. not too great sounding. be good to cover teh bottom with dynamat too... i was jsut concerned with the thickness, and teh third brake light.... but you could prolly pull it off while not looking too gaudy.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
lol. i would liek to see it done. i was planning on some fiberglass 'bowls' to mount in the speaker location, that would be essentially a box for the door and rear speakers. would make tehm sound ten times better.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I mounted the 6x9's in a piece of 1/2 inch particle board, then used screws to mount it directly under the rear deck. There are speaker holes in the cardboard that decorates the rear deck under the carpet (right side only) and I cut a small hole on the left side to let the sound through there. it looks good, sounds good, and the particle board gives a nice sturdy place to mount an amp or two as well.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
this on the lx?.. that sounds like a good plan. i may try that... prolly not. i'll hardly be able to afford 4 of the type s speakers i want.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
No, actually it is on the LE. But won't be much longer. I need to take it out of the LE and put it in the LX, but I need a nice Sat. to do it. There isn't enough time after work, no matter how nice the day.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I mounted mine on thin pieces of OSB and just screwed it down to the rear deck. I used the existing holes that are there, but had to cut and shape them to get 6.5s in there. They fit pretty nicely, you can't tell they're there, and they add a lot more mids which is what I wanted. Now I just need a seperate amp to power them and I'll be good to go.

I had to destroy the stupid amp holder back there...but now I can fit the box for the alpine type-r back there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts