TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 4.6 Sport with 67000 that I purchased new. Not too many performance mods but I did put a K&N filter in it due to experience from my motorcycle days. The oil charging caused a few engine codes due to the MAF sensor crudding up but that was to be expected. Of course what oil mist did get into the intake has settled on everything. The car runs fine but I'm getting a intake track/throttle body cleaning recommended on a regular basis. I've always been in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school. That school also recommended lots of oil changes (transmission and engine) which I follow religiously. Any thoughts on whether these $90 - $130 cleanings are worth the trouble?

The latest shop I've been using has recommended changing the power steering fluid and the differential oil. Couldn't find any definitive word on when to change these out. Opinions on these?

Thanks for the help,

GregZ

·
Registered
258 Posts
Changing the power steering fluid definitely won't hurt, especially if it's never been done in 12 years. At around 40k, I started getting a slight whine from the power steering pump, and a fluid flush silenced that right quick. I've been changing out the fluid every 15k mi. since. Changing out the gear oil in the diff is one of those "it won't hurt anything, and you won't be aware of anything it helps" situations. It's also good preventative maintaince, though. If you get it done, be sure they put a bottle of additive. I've always gone with the Ford Motorsport Friction Modifier.

As far as cleaning out the intake hose/runners and throttle body - it's a waste of time and money, unless you truly have a ton of crap built up along the sides of the track. Best way to tell would be to take the intake hose off, open the throttle, and peer inside the TB. I guarantee it's all black in there, but the question is how thick is the coating of crap on the inside wall. Use your judgement - just remember that a garden hose is free.

·
Registered
536 Posts
All the fluids should be changed on a regular basis. This includes the engine coolant, differential, transmission, power steering fluid and brake fluid. All either age, have an additive package that wears out or absorbs moisture. The steering system does not have a filter - another reason to flush it.

Mitch

·
Super Moderator
10,578 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts