TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here put a modular "stroker" engine in thier MN12 here yet? If so, what's been your experience with it so far? What kind of numbers (rwhp/rwtq) can one expect based on what you built? Who's a good builder of "strokers"...VT, DSS, MMR, etc......? I'm still researching what I want to do with mine. I'm thinking: stroker shortblock (9.5:1 CR), P&P'd PI heads, 262AH cams, Kooks headers. Thanks in advance for your opinions and thoughts.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I do not know from experience, but from what i've read, a big bore motor would be a much better way to go. the strokers have problems getting enough air, especially with our hoods. Im sure a stroker would be a heck of a motor if you could get a good intake for it, but I dont think that's too easy.

you might search on modular depot about this, lots of good info there.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Same answer, time and again... If you stroke a 4.6 without adding deck height, such as a 5.4, then what you end up with is the worst of both worlds...
then problem is in the pistons , as the wrist pin has to move up in relation to the top of the piston, for clearance purposes, and there isnt enough room to give the ring lands any space, thus weakening things... a 302 engine which has a shorter stroke to begin with can go up to about 331 c.i. successfully, no prob, but going to 347 c.i. is a sure way to make it less durable/strong. Now, the 4.6 is allready a " square "engine with a stroke and bore that are about equal, and adding stroke without the deck height , while possible just isnt too practical. The result of added deck height will be a 5.4 , or thereabouts with its own set of special problems, which have yet to be adequately addressed by anyone, tho' some of us are working on it, one or two horsepower at a time...... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deck Height!?! Has anyone been reading "MM & FF" the past few months? The reason I 'm asking is that there's obviously been alot of research done. There are numerous kits and small blocks out there being built by VT, MMR, DSS, etc.... I guess since noone has tried it then it's all just BS. Yes, there are piston speed issues, rod angle issues, but if it's that bad then why would anyone do it. Why would speed shops bother building them?

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
17Mark71 said:
Deck Height!?! Has anyone been reading "MM & FF" the past few months? The reason I 'm asking is that there's obviously been alot of research done. There are numerous kits and small blocks out there being built by VT, MMR, DSS, etc.... I guess since noone has tried it then it's all just BS. Yes, there are piston speed issues, rod angle issues, but if it's that bad then why would anyone do it. Why would speed shops bother building them?
Why? Because it's alot more profitable for a shop to sell you a Stroker when they have less machine work,etc involved.Profit margin is GOD for these shady internet vendors,and any vendor that pushes a stroker should not be trusted-they have only one thing on their minds...your money in their pockets. Maybe someday people will see that those mags are getitng a "ringer" engine setup for tests....the shops that build these engines know that their engines will be tested and results will be in print.
JL

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
You forgot to mention CHP, an outfit that claims to have a better piston design for the 347, and a pretty good stroker crank for the 4.6, but as for why they are doing it, its cause someone will buy them..... I suppose some will eventually make some startling power, due to exotic mods, but for someone thats not going to be an all out racer, its not a cost efficient way to go. I would look at a bigger bore with the special sleeves that a couple outfits are doing, as a better way to make power, and keep the physically huge modulars as small as possibleon the outside as being a better answer, though pretty darned expensive also.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK. I guess that solves that. Thanks everyone. I'll save my money and just slap my 230rwhp motor back together and be happy with it. Maybe 250 with Kooks and cams.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
AEDM8 said:
Port the heads at least. You were about to drop a decent chunk of change on a stroker kit....why not? :)
Sounds reasonable, or, you could just gasket match and clean the heads a tad yourself,and spend that money on a good intake, a P-51 , or the coming HPS piece if it ever shows up... whatever, good luck :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
ok i plan on useing a stroker kit on my engine im going to be building up.
first, leland jacobson, i dont see were strength would be a problem. with a stroker kit you arnt going to be revin the engine as high.

Full stroker rotating assembly kit for 4.6 engines including Manley forged pistons and I-beam stroker rods, forged steel 3.75” stroker crankshaft, SHM moly piston rings, Clevite rod bearings, and Federal Mogul main bearings. The quality doesn‚t get better than this for aggressive street or moderate race applications up to 650 hp, 7000 rpm.

i see no problem with the wrist pins being moved up. the pistons are desinged for that. and for the people that have run stroker kits, what cams are they useing and what intake manifold are they used and whats the power band for those.

i would like to hear anyone elses reasons why a stroker kit for the 4.6L isnt any good.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
thunderchicken17 said:
first, leland jacobson, i dont see were strength would be a problem. with a stroker kit you arnt going to be revin the engine as high.

Full stroker rotating assembly kit for 4.6 engines including Manley forged pistons and I-beam stroker rods, forged steel 3.75” stroker crankshaft, SHM moly piston rings, Clevite rod bearings, and Federal Mogul main bearings. The quality doesn‚t get better than this for aggressive street or moderate race applications up to 650 hp, 7000 rpm.

i see no problem with the wrist pins being moved up. the pistons are desinged for that. and for the people that have run stroker kits, what cams are they useing and what intake manifold are they used and whats the power band for those.

i would like to hear anyone elses reasons why a stroker kit for the 4.6L isnt any good.
18 years old,and has alot to learn.
It's not even worth me wasting time to type up the reasons why-you'll argue with it anyway.
JL

·
Registered
921 Posts
Consider the source. I see SHM in there... that automatically makes me skeptical, though I am only speaking from other peoples experiences I have read about.

And let me add, JL has been doing what he does a little while. I'm sure KD will jump in and give his piece too. They are good at what they do and more apt to know from experience(one would think). Jake has been around the block a few times in his day as well.IIRC

·
Registered
658 Posts
im not saying he's blowing smoke up all our asses, he probally is full of alot of knowledge. i just want to know his resionings for saying a stroker kit is junk. thats all

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
thunderchicken17 said:
first, leland jacobson, i dont see were strength would be a problem. with a stroker kit you arnt going to be revin the engine as high. .
:rolleyes: Well sonny, you will be writing a new chapter with the same old story.
You just listen to sean hyland, and deal with him, but if you shake hands with him ya better count your fingers afterward..... Its been proven historically that you cant make lead into gold (thats called 'Alchemy') ;) now the modern day alchemist will try to turn B.S. into gold , but the prob is he wants your gold for his B.S. What Hyland runs isnt exactly what he is sellin, and your biggest Alchemist is Hyland, go figure... Now I personally dont care what ya do , you have been advised, and are looking at an all out set up for a street car, but it makes no sense... If you want a stroker, get a 5.4 , but you won't be happy.... otherwise big bore it with the steel cyl inserts... but if durability is not a concern , and you arent really concerned with power , go ahead .... It wont be slow , it woint be fast, it will be' half fast' :D :rofl: :rofl: :headbang:

·
Registered
658 Posts
and has anyone installed the kit on there car? what were there results. i just dont see how the kit is junk. makes absolutly no sense. i would like for someone that thinks its junk to jump and explain to me why.

so is it the destributor that is the problem not the kit?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
thunderchicken17 said:
let me add my major is highperformance auto machanic
Haw! I am verry impressed... now my "major'' was 'Master , steam and motor vessels of any gross tons upon oceans', and while not the Chief Engineer , I was the boss, and hadda know enuff to not let anyone blow smoke up my skirt... I have dealt with diesels up to 30.000hp, and had to be certified before ever touching the throttle on any diesel boat.... I have dealt with and served on ships with as high as 120,000 shaft horsepower, but cars has become my hobby... Honest mechanics are some of the hardest working people I know , and I wish you luck, but you have alot to learn before getting into the modular wars.... :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
im not sayin im this big shot im just trying to say i do know what im talking about but i will back down if i am wrong or dont know enough about the subject to fight about it. im just trying to figure out why people are so against the stroker kits. did you test one, did anyone put one in there car. instead of fighting about who has more under there belt why dont we share our views and expierence with the stroker kits. And just to add, just becuase im 18 doesnt mean anything. there are people your age that dont no anything. age isnt everything you know.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts