TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opions on this engine and also in general a 95 E250 cargo van.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have a 92 E150 with a 302 and about 240k and a 93 E350 extended with a 351 and about 286k. I love the vans but an partial to the v8.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I usually prefer V8s myself. There is one for sale locally for $2000 1995 4.9L with 211K. It looks pretty nice in the pictures but I haven't seen it in person yet. Its a full cargo van, no windows on on any of the doors and a partition between the cab and the cargo area.

Do you have a preference between the sliding side doors and the regular double doors? Any common problems on these I should look out for?

Joe

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
that 300cid straight 6 is bulletproof. My mom had one in her 93 F150, you could run peanut oil in the crankcase and the motor will still run. The straight 6 was a good motor.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The straight six is a very good motor. Lots of torque for its size and in many ways preferable to the 302.

Dad sells cargo vans and I've noticed that most of the people he sells to prefer the swinging doors over the sliding door. The swinging doors have proven to be more reliable than the sliding doors. (less things to go wrong). He keeps a collection of white doors with and without windows and just swaps them out to please individual customers. Some like the rear windows and side windows for visibility, others don't like the idea of prying eyes seeing in where they keep thier tools and supplys.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
300 I-6 will go 300k easy with basic maintenance.......
I am currently replacing the head on one of these motors right now.
I've never built an engine, and Im having no trouble. The heads are iron, and the plugs hadn't been changed in years...so they were rusted in and I had the head re-conditioned.
Just uhh...make sure the plugs aren't stuck before you purchase the engine, and use some anti-seize!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Can't go wrong with the 300. It's what I have in my 'wheeler F150 and it's not going any where (the motor). It's dead reliable and as previously stated will practically run forever. Performance is lacking for sure, but with a couple hundred bucks worth of work and/or parts you can easily match a truck 302 or possibly slightly out perform it. Afterall, how can you go wrong with timing gears and 7 main bearings? :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks much for all the opinions guys. Between here and other people I've talked to I've heard almost nothing but good things about this engine and the vans themselves.

The straight six is a very good motor. Lots of torque for its size and in many ways preferable to the 302.

Dad sells cargo vans and I've noticed that most of the people he sells to prefer the swinging doors over the sliding door. The swinging doors have proven to be more reliable than the sliding doors. (less things to go wrong). He keeps a collection of white doors with and without windows and just swaps them out to please individual customers. Some like the rear windows and side windows for visibility, others don't like the idea of prying eyes seeing in where they keep thier tools and supplys.

Traveler, I thought I remembered that your Dad did something with vans. I didn't remember if it was in sales or service. I think I would prefer the solid doors over the windows. My priority is keep people from seeing whats in the back and makeing it hard to break into.

I'm always supprised how many work vans I see with side door and back windows. If I can drive a box truck I should be fine with a van without windows.

My 95 F250 has a 351, and I would miss the power if it had a 300.
I don't think I will miss the power in a vehicle like this. I'm not buying it for speed, don't plan to tow anything, and don't plan to carry anything really heavy.

I'm also in the market for a Bronco. In this case I definatly want the 351 or 302 as a minimum.

Joe

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
LOL Yea, skill with mirrors is required. But a lot of delivery places hire kids and want them to be able to see out as much as possible.

We've got a collection of ladder racks, and shelves to.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats true I can see it from a business owners and perhaps an insurance point of view. I guess If I was driving it every day I might also feel differently.

This is something I will use a few times a month. The rest of the time it will serve as storage and needs to be as secure as possible.

Does the $2000 price seem reasonable? I should be able to hagle down to 1700 or so.

Joe

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Doesn't matter if its a quarter million dollar exotic or a 200 dollar beat up ATV. If you can haggle em down, then haggle em down. :D

Thats a lot of miles so you should be able to get em down some more.

Just don't haggle so much you lose a good deal. ;)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
jnt, youre gonna dump a car because it has two less cubes? lol. and two less cylinders.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doesn't matter if its a quarter million dollar exotic or a 200 dollar beat up ATV. If you can haggle em down, then haggle em down. :D

Thats a lot of miles so you should be able to get em down some more.

Just don't haggle so much you lose a good deal. ;)
True, I think haggled my way out of a good deal before.

You're refering to my comment about getting the 5.0 or 5.8 minimum in a Bronco? In that case yes I do want my two cubes and 2 cylinders. I want that one to be fast. Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't think there are many after market parts for a 4.9 but I know there are for the 5.0 and 5.8.

On the van its less of an issue. Its not a toy its just needs to get me there.

Joe

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I know someone who has a 300-6 that made 232hp/343ft-lbs of torque on an engine dyno WITH all the accessories bolted on and spinning. :D cost me less than 800$ to do it also and it happens to be in a bronco. :D Intake/600cfm carb/headers/cam really wake them up. The 343ft-lbs was at a modest 2800rpm and peak hp was at 4300rpm. Broncos newer than 92' didn't have a 300-6 option, they came with the 302 as a base engine.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
The 300 is like a freakin' diesel, man, it's a real truck motor. They'll tow anything you put behind them, they stand up to abuse like almost no motor Ford has ever put out.

·
Registered
663 Posts
300 is a great motor and will last longer than the truck. I've got one in my '79 F100 with Holley 4 brrl, Offy intake, and late model EFI exhaust manifolds and it runs real strong. I'd put it up against a 302 of the same vintage any day. It'd eat my old '73 F100 302 auto truck I used to have.

With the old 300 racing class on the circle tracks, there's adequate aftermarket support; cams, headers, timing gears (doesn't use a chain), and intakes.

The 302 V8 is a great car motor, but in a truck, it's a dog. On the other hand, the 300 I6 is designed for a truck, and only came in trucks. 'Course' they also used them in generators, tractors, fork lifts, heisters, and who knows what other industrial equipment. Too bad Ford doesn't make them anymore.

Anything look familiar RancherLee?

·
Registered
406 Posts
My dad retired from UPS a few years back. They had several E350 vans that went well beyond 450k miles on the old 300's without ever having the head off.

Arguably the most reliable and longest lasting engine Ford ever produced.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
this info is great guys, im looking into a 88 F150 with 58000 mi with the 300-6...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts