TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to get a 1993 F150 with a 4.9l strait six motor. Any opinions on them? I'm just wanting to know this won't nickel and dime me to death.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Every single one I have seen has been bullet proof motor wise.

·
Registered
147 Posts
great motor, I have heard them running without oil for a bit and having no prob, or running without antifreeze and no major problems, just dont run it out of both. Those motors are amazing, why ford ever got rid of them I have NO IDEA.

Now here is another option for ya, I had a I6 but got rid of it when I got my 2000(didnt need t2 trucks, haha who am I kidding, i have 3 in the yard right now, ok didnt need 4) Dont know if you are intersted but I have a gasket match port job for intake and exhaust manifolds and also a FelPro gasket kit to go with it. Just to open up the air flow a bit more to help your motor breath.

$160 and its yours, but like I said dont know if thats anything you or anyone else on here is intereseted in.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good motor, my '87 F150 four wheeler is powered by one. Great low end torque but power sucks...runs out @ 3500rpms, not a single rpm more. You can feel a SHARP drop in power after that. I've had the motor since I was 17 and stayed a daily driver for 2 maybe three years. Never once had any problem out of the motor.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Everything else on that truck will fall apart twice before you have to do anything to that engine. I used to know a guy whose father had a 300 I6 that was on its 3rd truck. The trucks would rust out and fall apart, and he would pull his engine out and swap it into the next truck. At the time I knew him, he said he had about 600K miles on the engine, and he never had more than the valve cover off of it.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Yep, very reliable. I knew a guy who had a couple of them, they would not die. The last one he turned over to his son to use for his salvage yard delivery vehicle and as far as I know they are still using it. When he got a newer F150 after they went to the v6 he would not get the v6 and went with the 4.6 v8.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Everything else on that truck will fall apart twice before you have to do anything to that engine. I used to know a guy whose father had a 300 I6 that was on its 3rd truck. The trucks would rust out and fall apart, and he would pull his engine out and swap it into the next truck. At the time I knew him, he said he had about 600K miles on the engine, and he never had more than the valve cover off of it.
Agree. :zwthstpd:

Years ago... actually decades ago... dang I'm getting old... it was like this:

If you're buying a Ford truck and want:
An engine that will last forever, but isn't good for hauling heavy loads, get the I6.
An engine that will be pulling heavy loads, get a big V8.

Those 240/300's last FOREVER!!! :beek:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Awesome motor. Not a powerhouse or a gas sipper, but the BEST all-around light truck motor ever made. These motors are designed for torque, not HP.

I've got a carbureted '79 that I've added 4v holley, Offy intake, higher ratio rockers, 3.50 gears, and EFI exhaust manifolds. Along with the new high flow exhaust, it scoots along pretty well and tows anything I need it to. It'll even set you back in the seat as I go through the gears. I like it, plus it is dirt simple to work on :D

Any older used vehicle has the potential to be a money pit, so look carefully when you buy. The main compalint of the EFI models is the slave cylinder in the maual tranny F150 trucks. The tranny has to be dropped to replace it.

i bought the truck with the intention of putting in a 460 and pulling the 6, but then I started driving it. Then I read about a few simple mods that'll truly wake it up...
Good thing I kept it and didn't go with the 460 considering gas prices. I get 16 mpg around town. I pulled a camper with it last month and it pulled better than my '98 Exploder.

Everybody likes pics, so here are a few of mine:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts