TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know what everybody's opinion is on the new Suzuki XL-7 AWD. The only thing i know is that it has a new engine which is a 3.6 litre v6 made in japan but designed by GM? As far as the parts content is says that it is 100 percent japanese. It also has a timing chain rather than a belt. I am asking because they will not lower the price by more than a thousand off sticker. I have tried different dealers with the same result . I would like to have more info before making a decision as this is a big money purchase. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a good day.:)

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
If I where you I would stay away from Suzuki. They have bad value and have been known for some problems (consumer reports). I was looking at auto loans and most banks won’t finance Suzukis. I was looking at a couple of them but didn’t want to take the chance. Support the home team and get a American car.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first choice was a ford explorer. Nothing too fancy. I was willing to get a 6 cylinder with just the third row seat and leather interior. The problem is that they want over 33 thousand for the vehicle. The warranty is another story. They want over 2500 to extend the new car warranty to 6 years and 75000 miles with a 100 dollar deductible. When i got my windstar i only paid 1600 for the warranty and only a 50 deductible. Due to economic reasons my choices are very limited. I guess it is going to come down to the Honda Pilot which i am getting the EX-L model with leather, heated mirrors and 3rd row seat and also moonroof for under 28k. Also there extended warranty is only 1600 for honda care which covers the car for 7 years and 100k miles. I never thought that in my lifetime i would ever buy a japanese vehicle, but as you can see ford as in the dealers are not willing to compete. I really wish that we were back to the good old days. The reliability also is rated by consumer reports as worse than average. Out of the three american cars i only like the fords. I had one gm which crapped out at 47k miles and the dealer couldn't even fix it and i had a chrysler which was a nightmare. Thanks for the help with the info on the suzuki. It seems like now a days every manufacturer makes one good thing and the rest of their products don't match up. I wonder why?

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
You can get an '06 Explorer V6 with leather and very low miles for a whole hell of a lot less than 33k...and spend the money you've saved on that extended warranty as well as putting some back in the bank.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Why do you have to get a NEW car and pay payments for the next 60 months? Get a newer used (00-06) car for under 10-15K and less then 30K miles. Not trying to tell you what to do, but just helping you out.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My first choice was a ford explorer. Nothing too fancy. I was willing to get a 6 cylinder with just the third row seat and leather interior. The problem is that they want over 33 thousand for the vehicle. The warranty is another story. They want over 2500 to extend the new car warranty to 6 years and 75000 miles with a 100 dollar deductible. When i got my windstar i only paid 1600 for the warranty and only a 50 deductible. Due to economic reasons my choices are very limited. I guess it is going to come down to the Honda Pilot which i am getting the EX-L model with leather, heated mirrors and 3rd row seat and also moonroof for under 28k. Also there extended warranty is only 1600 for honda care which covers the car for 7 years and 100k miles. I never thought that in my lifetime i would ever buy a japanese vehicle, but as you can see ford as in the dealers are not willing to compete. I really wish that we were back to the good old days. The reliability also is rated by consumer reports as worse than average. Out of the three american cars i only like the fords. I had one gm which crapped out at 47k miles and the dealer couldn't even fix it and i had a chrysler which was a nightmare. Thanks for the help with the info on the suzuki. It seems like now a days every manufacturer makes one good thing and the rest of their products don't match up. I wonder why?
I (and I'm sure a bunch of others on here) can get you an x-plan pin to save you some dough on top of any incentives Ford is running. PM me if you want one.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I bought an 07 Prius for $24K (base touring package) and it's fantastic. Average around 49 mpg hwy when it's above freezing...44-46 hwy when it's below freezing (before I blocked off the grill).

So what if it's a Jap car? I don't see any American automakers offering me 50 mpg. If you want a really nice car and have to have a small SUV, I recommend the Mazda CX-7, which can be had decked out for around $28K. Then again, the CX-7 certaintly isn't fuel friendly.

I'd buy a Hyundai before I'd buy a Suzuki.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry i meant a brand new explorer was 33 thousand. I don't know why i keep thinking that we are still in 2006. I am probably going with the Honda Pilot EX-L with 4wd which i was quoted a price under 28k. This is for the wife. If the car was for me i would be getting myself a mustang GT. I will never stop loving fords but for what they r asking for an explorer is a bit too much. My next ford will probably be a mustang as i still have my t-bird and it only has 45k on it. So i am going to enjoy my bird for as long as i can. Too bad they don't make that style anymore. Well guys thanks for the info i really appreciate the help. :)

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Sorry i meant a brand new explorer was 33 thousand. I don't know why i keep thinking that we are still in 2006. I am probably going with the Honda Pilot EX-L with 4wd which i was quoted a price under 28k. This is for the wife. If the car was for me i would be getting myself a mustang GT. I will never stop loving fords but for what they r asking for an explorer is a bit too much. My next ford will probably be a mustang as i still have my t-bird and it only has 45k on it. So i am going to enjoy my bird for as long as i can. Too bad they don't make that style anymore. Well guys thanks for the info i really appreciate the help. :)

will you consider an escape? the limited is about as fully loaded as they come for 26-27k.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
ok, I just priced an '08 V6 Escape Limited with 320watt stereo(8 speakers, 6 disc in dash changer - w/MP3), the new cargo storage thingy, the luxury package, and a moonroof for 26,555........Which would be about 24k for me with the X plan.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
ok, I just priced an '08 V6 Escape Limited with 320watt stereo(8 speakers, 6 disc in dash changer - w/MP3), the new cargo storage thingy, the luxury package, and a moonroof for 26,555........Which would be about 24k for me with the X plan.
If I didn't drive 80 miles a day, I'd consider buying an Escape. I didn't realize they were priced so well. I'll have to look into that next time I get the woman a car (we get the Big 3 discounts from work).

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
If I didn't drive 80 miles a day, I'd consider buying an Escape. I didn't realize they were priced so well. I'll have to look into that next time I get the woman a car (we get the Big 3 discounts from work).
my moms get 25mpg.....through town with a 45minute each way commute.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I need a 7 passenger vehicle because i have three kids and sometimes i have people come along with us especially on long trips. As for the new part my wife is driving the car otherwise i would get the cheapest thing available. If i didn't have kids i would have already gotten the escape as i was offered a brand new limited last year for under 24 thousand. That is why i was looking at the explorer. For me if the car breaks down in the middle of the road or highway i would just try to get it started or towed to a shop. If i see that it is not worth fixing i would just take the plates and stickers off and take a train home. Unfortunately u know how women are. That is the reason why i am getting new. Also my friend once told me that when u get a used vehicle you are most likely inheriting someone else's problems. As for svce managers vehicles and demos. If you saw what i saw at one ford dealer u would run as fast as u could. Coincidentally that dealer closed 6 months later. They didn't even last two years ( I wonder why?). As for now i am still researching i probably won't buy till the summer. As for why i buy new, i have a windstar that is eleven years old and it is still going good, but i wouldn't take it on an 1100 mile trip due to its bad history. I really don't want to risk it. I got eleven years out of it more than most people have gotten. You really have to see this site www.carsurvey.org . It has a lot of interesting info from actual owners of the vehicles. Like i said i am still looking and praying that a sale comes up from ford. I also noticed that they don't advertise their freestar anymore. I guess that van is really good now unlike the windstar. They r now pushing smaller cars and expeditions.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Since you asked for opinions, I'll give mine.

Suzuki would be a fine choice if you lived in Japan. I myself try to support the economy of the country I live in. For me that's NorthAmerica and the company origin is more important than the place of final assembly.

Honda's are very well built vehicles but they come at a premium. Hard to believe a similar Ford is not competitive in price. Then again an Explorer is way more SUV than a Suzuki.

From your criteria it sounds like a minivan would suit you best. Some may argue against buying a Dodge but their van's are an incredible value.

Value in the daily family hauler is priority. Save the $$$ for your toy's like the Mustang you mentioned.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i would buy another minivan except that she wants a 4wd coz of the snow here. Since she is an essential employee in the medical field she cannot call in and say that she is stuck in the snow like the rest of us can. i am going to look at the mercury mountaineer. For some strange reason it is cheaper than the explorer. In the past it used to be the other way around. As for the freestar like i said before they don't advertise them anymore. Looks like it turned out better than anyone expected. I am really happy about that since i have always said that american cars are always better than japanese cars. As for the comment on the suzuki and japan. It is funny u mentioned that. One person that was stationed there a while back told me that they like american cars there? wether it is true or not i don't know. I guess they feel that it is more reliable than the japanese cars. For me one thing i know for sure american cars are a lot stronger than japanese cars as far as the sheet metal is concerned. I will still be researching and checking back here for more opinions. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Don't buy a new explorer unless you can get xplan, they have one of the worst 1st year depreciation values around. WHICH makes them great for used purchase. I got my 2002 mountaineer (mercury's explorer) with V8, 3rd row seats, and premier package for 14,500 with only 30k on it when it was only 3 years old. HALF the price of new on only 3 years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts