TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see from my signature, I am selling my lovely 97 LX. But, I still have the old 96 Sport with 207k miles.

When I last had it running, it sounded great for the mileage-no ticks or knocks, etc. I'm a complete newb, so does the 4.6 sound any different when it is dying, or will there be some noise to indicate something is wrong?

I think the car is solid. There is only surface rust on the rocker panels and under the car--but it was never babied either. If you search my other threads, you'll see that I"ve had it on jack stands a few times, :rolleyes: :tongue: and I've never noticed any body flex.

Here's the bad part: it has no brakes. It doesn't run now--the fuel pump went bad about 2-3 days after I fixed the water pump. And, the battery is dead. (but maybe I can get it replaced--it's less than a year old.)

So, finally, here's the question: Should I sell it as it sits for what I can get, fix it enough to make it street legal and sell it, or... maybe I could make it a hobby/project to fix it up really nice. (see explanation below)

If I fix it up as a hobby, I won't lose much if I ruin something while learning, and if everything gets fixed/replaced, the mileage won't matter as much to the performance/reliability of the car. Also, I will be able to do to this car what I originally wanted to do to the 97.

But, the phrase "you can't polish a turd" keeps running through my head.

Sorry this was so long, thanks for staying :) . Opinions/comments?

·
Registered
61 Posts
You could keep it and fix it up.... or you could sell the engine and do the DOHC swap :tongue: There are tons of options, and its possible after fixing it up you may have to put too much money into it. Its really up to you, but a car with that many miles is going to run into some problems sometime down the road. But then again, if you are just learning (like myself) its best to learn on something you wont be to sad to lose :D

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Besides all the bugs it would certainly have--all the little things going bad--what makes a car feel like it has high mileage? If I upgrade the suspension, brakes, and eventually engine/transmission, wouldn't it feel much more like new?

Oh, yeah...
Like others here, this project wouldn't be about money... I'm single. :D

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Black_97_LX said:
Besides all the bugs it would certainly have--all the little things going bad--what makes a car feel like it has high mileage? If I upgrade the suspension, brakes, and eventually engine/transmission, wouldn't it feel much more like new?

Oh, yeah...
Like others here, this project wouldn't be about money... I'm single. :D
I vote for the rebirth of the car, but, one caveat - a lot of parts are not longer available for our cars. Some aftermarket companies have them, but some you just cannot get from Ford anymore. Most of the suspension stuff can be obtained through parts stores like the control arms, tie rods, bushings, etc. But don't expect to find interior or exterior trim pieces new.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Embalmer said:
But don't expect to find interior or exterior trim pieces new.
That's one thing that's interesting about this car, most of that stuff is intact, and in salvagable shape.

I guess I should have made this a poll?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts