TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, frankly, I am in a real bad mood. Last week I posted about a check engine light, it was 'EGR NO FLOW' So I took it in, and it ended up being the DPFE sensor or whatever it is called, that was $240 dollars to replace. Along with that, they said I needed new intake gaskets, so they scheduled me to come in the next week.

About five days before I was going to take my car in for the gasket problem, my check engine light comes on AGAIN, I get it scanned 'EGR NO FLOW' So, did I pay $240 dollars for nothing? Or could the gasket problem cause the EGR NO FLOW light to come on.

I get my car back today, they charge me $412 dollars to replace the gaskets, plus the cost of replacing my overdrive cable. Does that seem a little bit high to you guys? And ON TOP OF IT ALL, when I get my car home, there is smoke billowing out from underneath the damn hood!!! So I pop the hood, and there is fing antifreeze leaking out of the thermostat and all over the fing place. It really makes me mad.

When I got my car back after getting the DFPE sensor replaced, I was missing the little orange plastic peice that shows what gear you are in, and now the antifreeze leak all over the place. This is suppose to be the most respected place in town.

Please give me your opinions on it PLEASE.

~Anthony

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Take it back to them and make them fix it. They have already charged you for fixing the 'EGR NO FLOW' and now it's back. Obviously they didn't fix it. The t-stat is their fault also as it must be removed to change the intake gaskets, which you have already paid for also.

Rob

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, that does sound about right for a dealership. On a 94/95 4.6L the EGR stuff is a major huge, major PITA!

I just went through that with my 95 Cougar, and it was cheaper to buy a chip from Lonnie and turn off the EGR stuff than it was to repair it!!!

But at least the dealership didn't say they inspected the cam lobes by looking through the oil fill hole with a mirror.... :redmad: They told me that with the service manager standing right next to them. I was asking how they inpected the cams without pulling the valve covers, and the mechanic looked me dead in the eye and said that! I looked him back and called him a liar! :redmad:

And ask for a part number for the "overdrive cable" since that does not exist on a 4.6L in the MN12. :thumbsup: And if you did not tell them to fix that part, I wouldn't pay for it. I don't know the laws, but I don't think they can fix anything without your approval first.

Oh, and sad to say.... Welcome to dealing with Stealerships!!! That is a VERY common occurrence at all dealerships! :bawling:

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree about the 94/95 4.6L EGR problems being a major pita

Dude, for fixing an EGR problem I spent about $250 for EGR Tube, EGR Valve, all new gaskets, new TPS sensor, a belt, a bunch of bolts, antifreeze, and an oil change.

That also includes having to replace some exhaust stuff because we couldn't get the EGR tube off, so to get it off we dropped the exhaust and pulled it that way.

Plus, it helps to be related to the person in charge of the shop. Personally I think you got screwed and would go up and there and say something about it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sad thing is, IT ISNT EVEN A DEALERSHIP! It is the most respected family owned place in town! I knew they were going to fix the OD thing, but $80 DOLLARS!? I called them up after I saw the billowing smoke, the guy drove out to my house and drove it back. When he got back he said he was sorry, he told me he put the gasket to the thermostat on wrong, so the antifreeze was running out onto the engine.

I just think $652 dollars is a lot of money to replace the DPFE sensor, intake gaskets, and to make my overdrive button work. And on top of it all, both times it was in the shop, I ended up having problems with it when I got it back. Yeah the little orange thing that let you knows what gear you are in isnt a HUGE deal, but that type of thing bothers me.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Since you have a 94, while they had the intake off, did they pop the EGR off as well?? I can't remember if it's mounted to the intake or not, but the small passages in the intake may be clogged up w/ carbon, hence the no-flow code you still have. The DPFE sensor is a PITA to get to, but may have been part of it. Never know now.

And he put the T-Stat gasket on wrong??? How in the hell do you do that?? It's a couple bolts and a gasket! Not that hard. I've had mine off 3 times, and I know I've flipped the gasket over once and it has never leaked.

OD cable?? Make them put it on a lift and show that to ya ;)

I hope you didn't get any antifreeze in the spark plug wells as it may cause a miss.

I'm not an expert by any means in the 4.6 arena, but what would an EGR flow issue have to do with the intake gaskets?? Why would you need to change them? Can someone validate this please?

All in all, you need to go back and raise some serious stuff. I don't care how respected they are in town. That is not an excuse for shoddy work. If they are that respectful, then they should be more than happy to explain why they did all that.

Jay

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
overdrive cable? hmmm, ask them for the one they pulled off your car, that's one of the reason's why you always ask for the old parts back when they replace something.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
FordMan77 said:
I'm not an expert by any means in the 4.6 arena, but what would an EGR flow issue have to do with the intake gaskets?? Why would you need to change them? Can someone validate this please?
On the aluminum intake manifolds, the EGR ports go into each port via a groove in the intake manifold where it mates to the heads. The gaskets have that same opening, and it is a common place to get clogged up. :thumbsup:

In the photo, you can see where the EGR valve bolts to the intake manifold, and also the grooves to where it flows to each port.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
chorizon said:
overdrive cable? hmmm, ask them for the one they pulled off your car, that's one of the reason's why you always ask for the old parts back when they replace something.
Yeah, it sounded like you already had enough bad news so I didn't say anything. But now that it has been brought up, tell them to show you that cable. These cars have an electronically actuated overdrive and it is computer contolled. There is no such cable
Sorry to have to tell you this.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it was $16 dollars for the OD wires, then like $70 for the OD "assembly unit" I dont know what they needed to buy, I saw the old wires, and the shifter it self was only like a year old, so I doubt anything was wrong with it. Who knows, im still mad about the whole thing.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
what part of il are you in???? whats the name of this 'respected place in town"????? they screwed you, time to screw em back.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Ok, so it was for the OD switch on the shifter then. That is plausable. I didn't think about that when the word cable was used. I went about that kind of closed mindedly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im in northern illinois, its called 'reeds auto repair' and the $80 something for the OD didnt include a new shifter, it was just for the assembly to hook the OD up with the shifter, the shifter was fine since it was replaced before I bought the car.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
The passages must be clogged

·
Registered
798 Posts
I remember when I fixed my EGR valve, I had to use a flathead screwdriver and knife to break the carbon that built up in the passages. My passage was completely blocked, I mean..COMPLETELY, and the little hole to the EGR valve had alot of build up as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you guys think I should do about this? I mean, $650 to replace the DPFE senser, replace both intake gaskets, and to wire my OD button up. What do you guys think I should have paid for all that stuff? I dont know, I just wasnt very happy with the service overall, especially because it was sub quality.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts