TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
My friend's family owns a junk yard and we're always there messing around. They recently got in a mark VIII and I've read that some people swap over mark VIII parts to tbirds/cougars, is there anything there worth my while I should take/buy for my personal use...?

I have a 97 4.6 and I already have a aftermarket d.s, going to buy a converter from dirtydog, and I have a torsen w/ 4.10 and Im not going to DOHC swap or use the block due to me already building one on the side.

They also have A LOT! of tbirds and cougars :( kind of sad to see.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
9,304 Posts
First off, I'd recommend a converter from PI or Circle D. PM me for details if you're curious why.

As far as parts to snag, look for the rear lower control arms and pumpkin - they were made from aluminum which helps get the weight down. The seats will swap as well, although I think the power seat pinouts are slightly different between the MN12 and FN10.

Also, if ever you have plans to swap to black seats, the only donor vehicle you can source a black seat belt from that will work with the 2nd gen seats is a Mark VIII.

On a personal note - if you come across either the factory cell phone handset or a good condition black center console arm rest/lid from a gen 1 mark, snag it for me!

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I have a Mark VIII converter in my TBird and couldn't be happier with it! It's a cheap upgrade that puts a smile on my face every time I drive the car....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im thinking along the lines of a 4000+ stall converter so a markVIII converter is out of the question.

I also forgot to mention I will probably end up buying corbeau seats eventually.

The rear lower control arms.... those aren't direct replacement for the stock tbird ones correct? Can't find the thread I read that in... :zdunno:

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
The control arms are almost a direct fit, aftermarket perches/centering seats are strongly recommended. However some use them without.

I also recommend Circle D over DirtyDog. It's worth the small difference in money to do it right the first time. Take it from someone who knows.

The rear diff is aluminum and helps save weight, however the MarkVIII differential did not come with a traction lock/limited slip, they only came with the one wheel peel lol. Still it's good to get if you want to save weight and plan to build a limited slip higher geared diff. since it allows you to build the unit without having any down time. I also will comment that I've broken the front mounting ear off of my aluminum diff and switched back to the iron unit, but I've heard of this happening to very few people.

If it's a gen2 MarkVIII the rear half shaft/cv axles are supposed to be slightly stronger than the thunderbird lx axles.

If it has black interior the carpet will fit into the tbird with very few adjustments. As well as the seat belts.

MarkVIII's came with larger single piston front brakes, the same as the thunderbird sport option. Be aware that they aren't that great but are better then base/lx stock brakes and require 16" or larger wheels.
IIRC the recommended brakes go in this order from worst to best:

Thunderbird base and lx (15" or larger rims)
Thunderbird sport/MarkVIII (16" or larger rims)
Thunderbird base/lx rotors with PBR twin piston calipers (15" or larger rims)
Redrilled/Hubswapped Cobra 13" PBR twin piston calipers (17" or larger rims)
Aftermarket 4 piston or more calipers and 13" or larger rotors (17" or larger rims)

Just a few things to think about.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I didn't see it mentioned but I'm sure you know the 93 Mark VIII drive shaft is also good part to snag. Since you have an aftermarket one you will not need it but might be interested in selling it for other members here? I know I will need to get one soon.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If I didn't already have the torsen t2 and 4.10 gear installed in my cast diff I would consider getting that.

I will probably look into the lower control arms. Gotta dig up some old threads on here im sure.

I also wish all the tbirds, cougars, and marks in the yard were MINE so I could part them out.

Thanks everyone :)

Random question.... 99-04 mustang gt MAF's.... plug n' play? Read somewhere that people swap them out? I snagged one off of a 99 GT...

·
Super Moderator
9,304 Posts
The desirable ones are from 2002-2004, with the part number YC2F-12B579.

You need the air intake tube and air cleaner box to physically install it. You will also need a tune to use it.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
The desirable ones are from 2002-2004, with the part number YC2F-12B579.

You need the air intake tube and air cleaner box to physically install it. You will also need a tune to use it.
I got my YC2F-12B579 from a 2008 Ford F-150. It's the same part number, isn't it the same MAF? I only took this one because I figured it's a newer vehicle so the MAF is newer. It's still sitting in my goodie box where it's been sitting for almost 2 years! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
4,939 Posts
Netkeym - it depends on the suffix letter. But if that's the same on both also (along with the prefix), then it's SUPPOSED to be the same part.

RwP

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Netkeym - it depends on the suffix letter. But if that's the same on both also (along with the prefix), then it's SUPPOSED to be the same part.

RwP
Well, my suffix is AB and it's a 2008 F-150 80mm. So the entire part number is YC2F-12B579-AB which, from what I understand, correct.

That is the same part number as the 2002-04 GT that everyone talks about. :zdunno:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts