TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah i've had my Optima Yellow Top battery for about 7 months now and i'm just wondering if I would need to drain it or something.. i've heard stories about the yellow top not being good for daily driver cars. And that's what my 95' 4.6 is.. so i'm curious as to what i need to do.. thanks guys -matt-

·
8,239 Posts
Mark, he's talking about the yellow top which I beleive is an audio battery. I have heard of similar problems if you use it as a battery to start the car. Just get a red top or a blue top marine battery and be done with it.

JH

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have read on this board and another board about having to drain the yellow top in order to keep it at peak performance.... I personally think it is a bunch of s h i t... The yellow top is designed to be able to be drained or run deep and be fully recharged without hurting the battery... Nothing in the literature you get with the battery says you need to drain it... I have spoken with Customer serice reps from optima and they say you don't need to... I have spoken with some of the original engineers who worked on the project for gates rubber company here in colorado, and they say they don't think there is any benefit to it.... And from my personal experience you don't need to.... I have had one in my bronco for about 2.5 years and only killed it once (during an extended audio demo). And have seen no ill effects from not draining it... And if you can find a good deal on the battery the yellow top is as good as the red. I forget the exact numbers but the cold cranking power of the yellow top is very very comparable to the red top, plus the deep cycle ability is killer... Anyways, that is my experience and from my research what I have found... Now you will find other people who say the opposite that you have to drain it or else.... I have yet to find someone who has actually had ill effects from not draining it...

Sam

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
My mustang has a yellow top that I rarely drive and the bird has the blue top I dont think I am doing anything wrong to them? Do you?

·
Registered
987 Posts
In my professionally humble opinion, no I don't think you are doing anything wrong... I have never seen anything other than hearsay that syas you need to kill the battery for it to operate normally....

Sam

1 - 6 of 6 Posts