TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a sticker somewhere on the car that gives me option codes? Basically I'm trying to find out what gears are in the car. Was there different options, or were they all the same? That might help also. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
you have a 3.27 open diff, or at least that's what your car came with. That was the only gear option for the 96/97 V8s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, both of my tires definitely spin. When my wife gets home from work, I'll check it out.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Not true. Some came with 3.08s, some with trac-lok.
I was under the impression that 94/95 came with both 3.08s or 3.27s, but that for 96 they changed it to 3.27s only. I also have never seen a factory trak-lok in a 96+ bird, but that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't have them.

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts
I was under the impression that 94/95 came with both 3.08s or 3.27s, but that for 96 they changed it to 3.27s only. I also have never seen a factory trak-lok in a 96+ bird, but that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't have them.
I have a 96 Cougar w/Trak-lock from the factory, and a 96 open diff car; both 8.8".

Both were 3.27 originally. I put a 3.08 from a 95 bird in the open diff car.

Everything I've seen locally that wasn't a 3.08 or 3.27 were 7.5" diffs, tho.

Anyone know how long a 7.5" diff will last in a mod V8? They used them for the 5.0... :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The code is "5"....also while I have peoples attention, rather than starting a new thread. Are there any cheap CAI options out there for the 96's? I've alot of threads for the earlier models. Cheap as possible, because I have TONS of money tied up in my other car, but my wife wants a little something

Also is it possible I have a 7.5" in my car or were they all 8.8"

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
The 7.5s were not put behind the 5.0, those cars got the 8.8. As for how long it will last, it depends how you drive it and how much traction you have. If you never do any hard launches, it will probably last quite a while.

So we know there are factory 3.27TL cars in 96/97, were there any 8.8 3.08 cars in 96/97?

·
5,650 Posts
The code is "5"....also while I have peoples attention, rather than starting a new thread. Are there any cheap CAI options out there for the 96's? I've alot of threads for the earlier models. Cheap as possible, because I have TONS of money tied up in my other car, but my wife wants a little something

Also is it possible I have a 7.5" in my car or were they all 8.8"
So you don't have a trac-lok, but have 3.27 gears.

For cheap CAI, delete the air silencer. That's all you need to do. If you install one of those "kits" that puts a cone filter in the engine bay, you'd just be installing a hot air intake.

·
5,650 Posts
The 7.5s were not put behind the 5.0, those cars got the 8.8. As for how long it will last, it depends how you drive it and how much traction you have. If you never do any hard launches, it will probably last quite a while.

So we know there are factory 3.27TL cars in 96/97, were there any 8.8 3.08 cars in 96/97?
I saw a 7.5" 3.08 in the junkyard on a 96. I don't think 4.6Ls got the 3.08s, but not sure on that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, sounds good......seeing that its not trac-lok from the factory leads me to believe someone had to install one along the way. Because the car definitely leaves two thick patches of rubber, and both tires spin on a lift

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just to make things clearer than mud. I have a 95 auto SC with traction control that came from the factory with a 3.31 ratio open diff. So, they aren't always 3.27 gears.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
AW, just put what you want back there. All you need is $$$s. I've got 3.55 gears, but they are for a 8.8". The car has a 3.27 with TracLok in a 7.5"

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Also, you can contact Ford on the internet and get a copy of the original build sheet for your car if you so desire.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
7.5's good if you drive

Hello

Your are more likely to see a 7.5" with a V6na
8.8" with V8na (I have a 96 V6 with an 7.5" 3.27 open)

Ratio's are more variant with the trany's not engines.
Most auto's will have 3.27's
Most 5 speed's will have the 3.08's
This is due to the ratio's of the tranys
96 & 97 there were no SC's so the odd 3.31's are not seen there.

I have run 3.73's & 4.10's in a 7.5" open rear. I race on a 1/2 asphalt oval.
I am currently running a 8.8" with 3.90 open rear. (gear rule & 3.90's don't come in 7.5")
I am also runing an AOD with a 351W engine.

I agree with above, 7.5" will last if one just drives the car.
If you beat on the car they will not last. You should be more conserned with your axles, if you are hard out on lights or strip.

I still run the V6 axles, no failers so far. lighter rotating weight & no from line starts.

Paul

1 - 20 of 23 Posts