TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm seriously considering replacing my stock exhaust with the following for performance and cost-effectiveness:

mandrelexhaustsystems.com true dual exhaust piping:
link: http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-116/92-dsh-97-THUNDERBIRD-EXHAUST-TUBING/Detail
Dynomax 17553 X-Pipe Muffler:
link: http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/Dynomax-Performance/Product-Line/Dynomax-Ultra-Flo-X-Pipe-Mufflers/?autoview=SKU
Stock headers and front cats (since they're brand new)
Resonator and rear mufflers removed

I was originally just going to go with a di/do muffler like the Magnaflow 12568, but didn't like the packing between the two pipes, so I looked for a tru-x muffler. And if I got headers, definately Kooks, but at the price, I'll wait on those.

What do y'all think?

·
Registered
875 Posts
That mandrel bent system has been discussed on here many times at great length. Do a search and you'll read all about it.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That mandrel bent system has been discussed on here many times at great length. Do a search and you'll read all about it.
I have, that's why I'm getting it. So I'm assuming you're saying that's a good choice, right?

I was more looking for opinions on that x-pipe muffler..... But of course, the whole system put together that way. If anybody has it, the likes, dislikes, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to use x pipe muffler with a custom built exhaust. Suppose to start on it tuesday.
You gonna use 2.5"? What are you doing up front? Using stock headers & cats? Then behind the x-pipe muffler, going dual pipe out the back?

Please let us know how it sounds and if you're happy with it! I know I'll let you all know when I finally do something myself...

·
Super Moderator
12,075 Posts
I have, that's why I'm getting it. So I'm assuming you're saying that's a good choice, right?

I was more looking for opinions on that x-pipe muffler..... But of course, the whole system put together that way. If anybody has it, the likes, dislikes, etc.
What Buckcreekbilly is saying is that this thread is a :repost: Here is the original thread where we've talked about this system at length there's a lot of good info here and pictures of various installs of this system. I just added pictures of my system installed with Kooks headers.

I have an magnaflow X-pipe that I bought to use as an alternate to the Manderel Exhaust X-pipe that comes with this system. I didn't use it and will be selling it shortly if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What Buckcreekbilly is saying is that this thread is a :repost: Here is the original thread where we've talked about this system at length there's a lot of good info here and pictures of various installs of this system. I just added pictures of my system installed with Kooks headers.

I have an magnaflow X-pipe that I bought to use as an alternate to the Manderel Exhaust X-pipe that comes with this system. I didn't use it and will be selling it shortly if you're interested.
Thanks Trunk Monkey! I missed that thread since it was under "marketplace", and yes I used search. I actually got the mandrelexhaustsystems website info from your post. Nice exhaust on yours, BTW. But TONS of great info and pictures in that thread. Now I know these guys are in Florida that's means I'll have to pay tax...lol

I found a youtube video of a 4.6 Cougar with that x-pipe muffler installed and it sounds good to me! Only difference is he said his cats are gone and his engine is a DOHC (I question that part). But whatever, it sounds nice, here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wjIhNoyuHY

What part # is your Magnaflow and what do you want for it? The video is your muffler in action I believe. The video says it part #12468.
Thanks again for all the great info!

·
Banned
754 Posts
does anyone know where that company is located (Mandrel exhausts) or where their stuff is shipped from? can't seem to find any info on the site about it.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
does anyone know where that company is located (Mandrel exhausts) or where their stuff is shipped from? can't seem to find any info on the site about it.
Miami, Florida

·
Registered
36 Posts
You gonna use 2.5"? What are you doing up front? Using stock headers & cats? Then behind the x-pipe muffler, going dual pipe out the back?

Please let us know how it sounds and if you're happy with it! I know I'll let you all know when I finally do something myself...
Yes 2.5. leaving front cats for now. no rear mufflers. I'll take pic's. I,ve never posted a vid before but I'll try to get some sound!

·
Super Moderator
12,075 Posts
Thanks Trunk Monkey! I missed that thread since it was under "marketplace", and yes I used search. I actually got the mandrelexhaustsystems website info from your post. Nice exhaust on yours, BTW. But TONS of great info and pictures in that thread. Now I know these guys are in Florida that's means I'll have to pay tax...lol

I found a YouTube video of a 4.6 Cougar with that x-pipe muffler installed and it sounds good to me! Only difference is he said his cats are gone and his engine is a DOHC (I question that part). But whatever, it sounds nice, here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wjIhNoyuHY

What part # is your Magnaflow and what do you want for it? The video is your muffler in action I believe. The video says it part #12468.
Thanks again for all the great info!
You're welcome for the link and thank you for the compliment.

The mid-mounted Magnaflow muffler with internal X-pipe in the linked video is a different unit than the X-pipe that I have.

The Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe that I have is a 2.5" version that I got from autoanything Part #10791. I did not use this X-pipe on my car and used the X-pipe that came with the Mandrel Exhaust System that I bought for the car.

They list for $83.78 with free shipping at Autoanything. I haven't decided on my asking price yet.

The mufflers that I have on my car are Borla Pro XS, 2.5" Offset in / Center out, Borla Part #40358

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I'm seriously considering replacing my stock exhaust with the following for performance and cost-effectiveness:

mandrelexhaustsystems.com true dual exhaust piping:
link: http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-116/92-dsh-97-THUNDERBIRD-EXHAUST-TUBING/Detail
Dynomax 17553 X-Pipe Muffler:
link: http://www.summitracing.com/search/Brand/Dynomax-Performance/Product-Line/Dynomax-Ultra-Flo-X-Pipe-Mufflers/?autoview=SKU
Stock headers and front cats (since they're brand new)
Resonator and rear mufflers removed

I was originally just going to go with a di/do muffler like the Magnaflow 12568, but didn't like the packing between the two pipes, so I looked for a tru-x muffler. And if I got headers, definately Kooks, but at the price, I'll wait on those.

What do y'all think?

I know it's been discussed to great lengths, but for what it's worth, I have the Car Sound cat kit (magnaflow cats, third cat removed on 2.5 pipe), Hedman extenders (Summit), Magnaflow DIDO X Pipe muffler (smallest one available in polished SS 2.5"; I forget the part number) and the Mandrelbentexhaustsystems.com rear kit capped with Summit SS tips. Looks and sounds great. I was debating between the Magnaflow and Dynomax mufflers myself, but the Magnaflow won out just out of brand preference. It's a pretty easy system to put together; the only part that takes some tweaking is the offsets from the front cats to the DIDO muffler.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know it's been discussed to great lengths, but for what it's worth, I have the Car Sound cat kit (magnaflow cats, third cat removed on 2.5 pipe), Hedman extenders (Summit), Magnaflow DIDO X Pipe muffler (smallest one available in polished SS 2.5"; I forget the part number) and the Mandrelbentexhaustsystems.com rear kit capped with Summit SS tips. Looks and sounds great. I was debating between the Magnaflow and Dynomax mufflers myself, but the Magnaflow won out just out of brand preference. It's a pretty easy system to put together; the only part that takes some tweaking is the offsets from the front cats to the DIDO muffler.
Thanks SignofTheCat94! Yeh, I'm leaning toward the Magnaflow 12468, it's almost 2" narrower than the Dynomax 17553, I (as you) like the brand, and it's $20 cheaper! I guess it's a no-brainer, huh?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
For me it was; but I'd never take anything away from Dynomax either! I can find my receipt from Summit for those header extenders if you want the part number; they're under $30 and the offsets make it really easy to bolt up the system. I did mine modular using 3 bolt flanges between the cats to muffler section and again between the muffler to rear pipes section.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes 2.5. leaving front cats for now. no rear mufflers. I'll take pic's. I,ve never posted a vid before but I'll try to get some sound!
Just finished exhaust without cats. DROWN at 55 too LOUD for me. With cats was a little drown but a raspey sound like a v6 sports car. Now it sounds like a mustang I had with first flowmasters an no cats 10 years ago! I put 3.5 tips. I'll get some pics a soon as I can.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What Muffler?

Just finished exhaust without cats. DROWN at 55 too LOUD for me. With cats was a little drown but a raspey sound like a v6 sports car. Now it sounds like a mustang I had with first flowmasters an no cats 10 years ago! I put 3.5 tips. I'll get some pics a soon as I can.
What X-pipe muffler did you use? You're the second person I've heard with this setup that turned out unhappy with it. Makes me reconsider my original thoughts. Thanks for the feedback and Happy Holidays!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts