TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone lists the JMod as there shift kit or VB mod. Anyone using the Transgo, Art Carr, SCP valve body upgrades? Anyone with experience with more than 1 of these upgrades? Also info on Dirty Dog's complete transmissions or trans upgrades would be helpful. Any info on Art Carr complete transmissions?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The general consensus seems to be:
Jmod + cooler = good for performance and makes transmission last longer.
Aftermarket shift kit = okay for performance and makes the transmission die sooner.
This is applicable to the 4R70W. I think the Transgo or B&M is supposed to be the way to go on AOD's.

·
Super Moderator
7,530 Posts
What he said. Also, the only cost of the J-mod is the trans fluid and valve body separator plate gaskets, so why would you spend more money to get an inferior result?

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I had the Baumann kit on my '93 Mark VIII and loved it! IMHO it is quite similar to the J-mod. I pro-actively replaced the tranny with one built by DirtyDog which of course has the J-mod and has pretty much all the available upgrades. It is performing quite well.

My '96 Mark VIII tranny has been J-modded. Both have tranny coolers.

I have no personal experience with others but I know a couple who have had bad experiences with Art Carr components and TransGo shift kits.

·
5,650 Posts
Also, the only cost of the J-mod is the trans fluid and valve body separator plate gasket
That's generally not true. Most transmissions from members of this site will require the accumulator and spring changes, some the newer pan/filter as well.

·
Super Moderator
7,530 Posts
That's generally not true. Most transmissions from members of this site will require the accumulator and spring changes, some the newer pan/filter as well.
True, but even with the accumulators and springs it is still much cheaper than a shift kit. I suppose I should have been more clear, but my point still stands.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I did mine in '04 with all updated springs, accumulators and even the deep pan/filter for ~$125 shipped.

·
5,650 Posts
True, but even with the accumulators and springs it is still much cheaper than a shift kit. I suppose I should have been more clear, but my point still stands.
Sorry, but that's not quite right either. Transgo shift kits go on eBay for ~$50. The last quote I saw on here for the j-mod parts was $82, and that included the proper springs. It can be done cheaper by leaving out the correct lower 1-2 spring but that's not good on the tranny for the power level that most people will run on here. And like tinman_72 said, if you need the pan it will cost over $100.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Sorry, but that's not quite right either. Transgo shift kits go on eBay for ~$50. The last quote I saw on here for the j-mod parts was $82, and that included the proper springs. It can be done cheaper by leaving out the correct lower 1-2 spring but that's not good on the tranny for the power level that most people will run on here. And like tinman_72 said, if you need the pan it will cost over $100.

for that $50, are we also including the cost of a new transmission after the Transgo EPC grenades the one it is in?

·
5,650 Posts
for that $50, are we also including the cost of a new transmission after the Transgo EPC grenades the one it is in?
No, they leave that small detail out.

Note: I'm in no way advocating Transgo for the 4R70W/AODE. It and all other shift kits are proven to be inferior to the j-mod and I'm not trying to dispute that at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts