Discussion Starter #1

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
"I swear I only was doing 10 knots!"

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
"Well if you'd put a windshield in the d**m thing these things wouldn't happen!"

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
"What, a little paint, some bondo, fix this mirror....and she's good as new" --Gone in 60 Seconds

I thought that incessent "pinging" sound was annoying so I cut it off. Who knew it was important?

·
Registered
890 Posts
blown96bird said:
I see somebodys career is over.
Maybe not:

The Navy official said it now appears the undersea mountain was not on the navigation charts the crew was using.
It could still go either way, but may not end any careers.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
Wow. After being on one, that is pretty messed up. Usually grounding a submarine is an instant career ender, but since it wasn't on the charts, he may get his job back. When the Hartford ran aground in Italy, the Navigator, the Captain and a few others were fired.

--Craig

·
Koolbreeze
841 Posts
you know, Craig, when I first heard about that...
YOU were the first person to come to mind.

I thought, "Oh Lord, what has he done?!" HA!

I thought about it for a bit and remembered it wasn't yours. :)

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Hey Craig, don't they still use sonar? I mean DANG! How do you miss a MOUNTAIN?! They must have something to tell them if they are about to run into something!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
In a more thorough report i read, They were doing in excess of 30kts, charts where from 89 but even charts from 5 yrs ago still didnt have mountains in it, satellite imagery showed mountains but werent avail for use when charts were made.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
30 knotts under water! Cheese and Crackers--they were haulin' tail!

"XO, to the floor and hold it, I've got to get there before the buffett closes...."

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Ah yes...........sounds like the skipper was taking lessons from the captain of the Titanic.........if we go faster....we'll get there sooner..............guess he's just lucky it wasn't an iceberg.....

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
The subs do not usually navigate with sonar.

They try to keep their whereabouts unknown, therefore, if they had the sonar on, their presence would be detected.

My understanding of this is that they usually navigate by charts.

·
Registered
817 Posts
nobody's fault. things happen under the ocean, maybe the tsunami made that mountain rise somewhat and nobody had tracked it.

who could be blamed anyways? the guy steering is just taking orders from the XO, the XO is looking on a map that he has been trained to follow. the mapmaker had no idea the map is wrong and needed a new one with a big mountain in the middle. accidents happen. luckily it wasnt worse than it was and the sub made it home.

what did the gay whale do to the sub? bit off the tip and ate all the seamen. i think theres a gay whale somewhere near quam, not a mountain.

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
its only a flesh wound

and yes, rolling is right, subs are meant to be silent ...very...very silent.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
Rolling-Thunder said:
The subs do not usually navigate with sonar.

They try to keep their whereabouts unknown, therefore, if they had the sonar on, their presence would be detected.

My understanding of this is that they usually navigate by charts.
Wrong.....there is more than one type of sonar....

--Craig

1 - 20 of 21 Posts