TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this may sound stupid, but I just have to ask. OK. On cars with an open rear end, you can brake-torque the tranny and spin the tire good, but the car creeps to the left, because only one wheel is placing the power down. On a car equipped with trac-lok, both wheels leave patches because both put power down, and because it's balanced, the car creeps straight. But how long can you do this without the differential giving up? Is it only a matter of time that it or a half-shaft (more than likely the left side) break because it's not made to handle all the force? And what's with the stuff about goin around corners? Breakin half-shafts around corners can be done easily with trac-lok, I've heard. Just a few things I want to get figured out before I do my "overhaul".

Pat

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, I've never heard of a Trac-Loc breaking half shafts going around corners or even scrubbing the tires for that matter. Now something along the lines of a true locker diff like the Detroit Locker Box will do all of the above.

A Ford Trac-Loc uses clutch packs on each side to give it limited slip. A Locker actually locks. With big burnouts and just generally trying to push the diff for what you need a locker for will cause the clutch packs in the Trac-Loc to wear out to the point where it doesn't lock very well at all anymore.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just one of those things that you don't really need till you need it, right? I just don't like the fact of putting one patch on the ground and not 2, makes me feel like "less of a man" I guess. So, then, I would need a true locking diff to do the 2 stripe thing? As you can see, I don't like one mark at all.

Pat

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
No, you can easily do 2 marks with a Trac-Loc. I do it pretty often myself. :) Its a tad easier for me compared to most 95s, but thats because mine was ordered with 3.27s instead of 3.08s. :)

If you're going to upgrade you rearend, you might as well go ahead a slip a set of 3.27s ot even 3.73s in the back if you want some real fun!

·
Registered
726 Posts
With the breaking half-shafts around corners thing, i bet your thinking of lockers/spools. Locker are for drag-apps only, because they are horrible on turns and in the rain/winter. Limited slips give you locking ability with turnability, but to truly get the best of both worlds, you need an air locker. When activated, the diff. becomes fully locked, just like what a regular locker would do, but when deactivated, the diff. acts just like an open diff.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
WB...air locker?....that's new one for me....

WhiteBird101 said:
With the breaking half-shafts around corners thing, i bet your thinking of lockers/spools. Locker are for drag-apps only, because they are horrible on turns and in the rain/winter. Limited slips give you locking ability with turnability, but to truly get the best of both worlds, you need an air locker. When activated, the diff. becomes fully locked, just like what a regular locker would do, but when deactivated, the diff. acts just like an open diff.
would you give a short explanation, manufacturers, etc....

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Re: WB...air locker?....that's new one for me....

MagerThom said:

would you give a short explanation, manufacturers, etc....
Its called an ARB Air Locker.It is just a dif. that uses air to lock it up for that full lock mod.Use it at the track to act as a full spool and then release the air for a normal dif.
Summit and Jegs has them.They arent cheap either.
They are mostly used by guys who run trucks in the mountains but they do have an application for the 8.8.I was thinking about getting one until I saw the price.
Hope this helps,
Chris

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
That air locker would be awesome. Would be even better if you hooked up an airbag suspension air comperssor to it so it was adjustable on the fly, sorta.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
They sell a pump for it.....

AverageJoe said:
That air locker would be awesome. Would be even better if you hooked up an airbag suspension air comperssor to it so it was adjustable on the fly, sorta.
They sell the pump kit for it.It would have been like $800 plus for the set-up I was looking at.I am not to serious about racing so I went the Frod Trac-Loc route.
Chris

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AverageJoe...

Was probably gonna go with 3.55's or 3.73's, anyways, with a trac-lok. Thanks to all. Wow, a stupid question ended up to be somewhat of an interesting thread.

Pat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts