TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am hoping someone out there can help me with my problem... I found a few other threads that looked similar but I didn't find any exactly the same as this. I was driving to work this morning in my 1993 T-bird (with a 5.0) and as I was climbing a hill with my car on cruise control I noticed the tach climbing and the speed falling. I made it over that hill but there I sat half way up the next hill a mile or so later. To make a long story short as long as my car is in first through third I am fine, but as soon as it shifts to overdrive it is like I put it in neutral. Just from what I have read it sounds like I lost the overdrive band?? Do the experts agree. I checked the trans fluid when I got to work and all looked fine, but when I looked down I noticed the bushing was gone out of the kickdown cable in the throttle cable assembly, I drove to the ford dealer got a new one thinking all would be well (I have had trouble at the other end of the kickdown cable and a little grease and a good cleaning solved that) but when I headed for home and hit OD same problem. Maybe the bushing being out caused the problem??? don't know. How much work is replacing a OD band if that is the problem, or if its something else can anyone tell me if its a shade tree mechanic fix. I have gone as far as replacing a rear main on this car, and found after I tore into it that it was a gasket blowout in the back of my pan, but I am not a engine or trany build for Jack Roush. Any help, suggestions or criticism is welcome...

·
The Parts Guy
7,424 Posts
It sure does sound like you burned up the OD band. That has been known to happen when the TV cable is misadjusted or comes loose from the throttle body.

-Rod

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
What part of Northern IL are you in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in the Polo area. I was also wondering if I can run the car in drive or if drive will likely start slipping away also?

·
The Parts Guy
7,424 Posts
Usually OD fails first, then the other gears start going out, too. It sounds like it's going to need to be rebuilt or replaced.

-Rod

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
mclane4161 said:
I am in the Polo area. I was also wondering if I can run the car in drive or if drive will likely start slipping away also?
I doubt if it would do any more damage than is already done. I'm in Amboy - less than 30 miles from you. If I can help in any way, let me know.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
It's okay, you can drive in Drive without any problems..
You'll have to rebuild the whole tranny anyway so even if you
would blow it to pieces it won't matter.. :D

//Per

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know that much about these transmissions, but looking at the parts available for the trans I can buy a new OD band for under $20. Can that be replaced or do I still have to do a complete rebuild. I guess how far do you have to tear the trans down to replace band, maybe if its completely torn down its best to rebuild anyway? Its just a work car with 200k miles, I would like to get a couple more years out of it.

·
Registered
790 Posts
To replace the OD band it takes about 20 minutes once the tranny is dropped (which takes an hour for novice).....but yes, if you pull the front pump, you might as well inspect and make sure the rest is okay for another set of miles. You will also want to invest in a frotn pump seal and case gasket and rear main seal to complete the job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts