TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
I have to admit, I've taken some long tow rides home, lol.

I tend to break these transmissions, stock; I considered them a wear item for a long time.
I think the Red Cougar is the only one not to have endured the Ride of Shame, lol.
I broke about everything you can break, pretty much.

With you driving normally, you shouldn't have any problems once you get these issues figured out.

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I sure hope not! I'm so tired of having to ask friends for rides when I bought this car in December so I'd have a second car (you know, as back up!). Now they get to see the broken Freestyle waiting in my driveway for my brother to be allowed to come from Pennsylvania to get it. I'm so ready to have a car that's running reliably. At least my kids aren't missing anything, with all their meetings cancelled or online.

·
Administrator
8,243 Posts
Would the stock pan that original came on the 94 cause problems when braking? I know there was an issue when turning with fluid starvation, upgrade to the 96+ will fix that.

Joe

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The thing is, it was so much worse after sitting for four hours. I worked my usual shift, and it barely went into gear when I tried to go home.

·
Administrator
8,243 Posts
Didn't loose fluid while you were working?

Joe

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
No, I moved the car to a level surface, let it up while I was talking to Rob, and checked the fluid before driving.

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
And the mechanic just called. Car was FINE when he drove it. I'm going to lose my mind over this!!

·
Administrator
8,243 Posts
When you pick it up, take him for a ride and see what happens. Maybe you can point any concerns out to him.

Joe

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
He's going to drive it some more. I'm going to pray.

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It occurs to me that my other shift issues were going uphill, and I park on an uphill slope at work. Maybe there is something getting jostled in the wiring, and the trauma of towing unjostled it? I think I'm going to text the poor mechanic and then leave him alone.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Are you sure you're checking the fluid properly? Sure sounds like fluid starvation. Maybe the filter fell off from having the old filter o-ring still stuck on there (assuming the fluid was changed recently).

I only had one fluid starvation issue with my old 95, which had the shallower pan. I was pulling up a steep hill, and to the right, and the car slipped in 1st for a moment.

I really think that a "proper" Mercon V fluid and filter change (checking for old o-rings), along with a 1996 and up pan upgrade might fix you right up.

Al

·
Super Moderator
12,641 Posts
The only "up-hill" trans issue I ever had was TC shudder back when Mercon 3 was still the standard before Mercon V was released. Get the car to Rob and let him work his magic on it! ;)

Reactions: Grog6

·
Registered
120 Posts
In terms of when to turn the off.... it is simple....whenever you are driving in the city where MPH does not exceed 40 … this eliminates redundant shifting (tranny clutch pack/solenoid wear), reduces strain/wear on the brakes with the engine now e correct (or more correct rpm band) allowing the engine (ie throttle) to maintain speed control as the primary function with a secondary/support role.

·
Registered
1994 Thunderbird LX 3.8
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My "local" guy (way out in the country- not local to anybody, really!) had the car for more than a week without being able to replicate my issue. He said he found some wiring that didn't look right and I picked up the car this morning after he redid it. I'm supposed to drive around this weekend to see whether I have any issues and then I guess he's going to zip it all up and present me with a bill. So far I'm half a tank up on the deal (which was a concern because as I said, there's nothing for miles =-O)

So far, I've managed to get in traffic situations where I've been on that 3-4 shift line a lot and haven't turned off the overdrive without encountering any issues, so hopefully he's solved my problem.

You all are great! Thanks for all the input!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts