TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Ford thunderbird lx 4.6 v8
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve asked this before but I’m still kind of iffy on the discussion I know the basics of why to have over drive on or off but I still don’t know the best way to go so let me know your input on whether to have it on or off. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,828 Posts
Really doesn’t matter for regular driving but NEVER go WOT in overdrive where it downshifts to second, that can blow up the transmission. Always turn overdrive off first and then you can mash the accelerator so it 3-2 downshifts instead. Personal preference, I liked to keep it off up to steady 45mph driving, same as with driving a manual

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,195 Posts
Fine to leave it on all the time. I turn it off if I know I'm going to hit the gas because the 4-3 is the slowest, clunkiest shift on the 4R70W. Fuel economy is about 20% better in OD than in 3rd at the same speed and I'm all about driving cheap. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really doesn’t matter for regular driving but NEVER go WOT in overdrive where it downshifts to second, that can blow up the transmission. Always turn overdrive off first and then you can mash the accelerator so it 3-2 downshifts instead. Personal preference, I liked to keep it off up to steady 45mph driving, same as with driving a manual
WOT? Basically if I’m wanting to
Hit the gas turn it off?

Fine to leave it on all the time. I turn it off if I know I'm going to hit the gas because the 4-3 is the slowest, clunkiest shift on the 4R70W. Fuel economy is about 20% better in OD than in 3rd at the same speed and I'm all about driving cheap. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah it’s been on pretty much all the time I turn it off here and there to see if I can feel or see any differences myself. I felt like when I turned it off and hit the gas there was a bit of difference not to sure what tho

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Another vote for on all the time, except if you decide to go WOT. The only gear I go WOT in is manual 2nd, click it into 2nd at about 20 MPH, and wide open up to 60-70 MPH. Surprisingly, you can get a little rubber in 2nd.

FYI Bobbah, manually putting it in 2nd holds it in that gear, it won't upshift or downshift. Good gear to start out in the snow with. Good "donut" gear also.

Al

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another vote for on all the time, except if you decide to go WOT. The only gear I go WOT in is manual 2nd, click it into 2nd at about 20 MPH, and wide open up to 60-70 MPH. Surprisingly, you can get a little rubber in 2nd.

FYI Bobbah, manually putting it in 2nd holds it in that gear, it won't upshift or downshift. Good gear to start out in the snow with. Good "donut" gear also.

Al
So really just leave it on unless you want to do something like WOT?

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
Reactions: supergordo

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
The big deal is that the 3-4 and 4-3 shifts generate the most heat, and are why we need huge tranny coolers.
Never, ever shift from 4-2. later trannys shift 4-3-2, but our stock ones can fail pretty much instantly.:)

Staying in 3rd avoids all that.

There's another issue in untuned cars: the 127.5 mph 3-4upshift. It pretty much kills the tranny before you can let off. :(
There's a value file for that.:) Don't drive that fast, seriously.

·
Registered
1996 Thunderbird LX
164 Posts
Obviously dont go that fast on the road but how can you fix that? Get a new tranny that can go 127?

·
Super Moderator
5,488 Posts
Obviously dont go that fast on the road but how can you fix that? Get a new tranny that can go 127?
It's not the tranny; the ECU has the speed limiter in it.

RwP

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The big deal is that the 3-4 and 4-3 shifts generate the most heat, and are why we heed huge tranny coolers.
Never, ever shift from 4-2. later trannys shift 4-3-2, but our stock ones can fail pretty much instantly.:)

There's another issue in untuned cars: the 127.5 mph 3-4upshift. It pretty much kills the tranny before you can let off. :(
So drive with overdrive off as it takes out the 4th gear and drops back down to 3rd once hits the button? And I never go past 80 mph atleast I can’t as my wheel gets real heavy shaking hard to steer😁

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Al
When I get up to that 60 to 70 mph I put it back to Drive or?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The big deal is that the 3-4 and 4-3 shifts generate the most heat, and are why we heed huge tranny coolers.

I’ve been having overdrive on but I see myself now pressing it off when I hit the gas but definitely for some reason I get more heat if that’s what ur talking about ?

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,195 Posts
Unless you have a compelling reason to use manual 1 or manual 2 (they are designed primarily for extra engine braking or controlling wheelspin during low-traction starts, not for making the trans shift like a manual), just let the PCM shift the transmission normally based on the shift schedule.

Manual 1 and 2 use different bands and clutches than auto 1 and 2 (again, to aid in enhanced engine braking) and also have different commanded line pressures. Also, given you've got a very early model trans, unless you've modified the valve body (J-mod), you should avoid excessive manual shifting.

As was previously said, use the O/D lockout to help avoid 4-2s, need to hit the gas or if you're planning to have some fun. If you're stuck in traffic around the 3-4/4-3 speeds and the car is constantly hunting between the two, you can use it then too. Otherwise just let the car use all 4 gears.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unless you have a compelling reason to use manual 1 or manual 2 (they are designed primarily for extra engine braking or controlling wheelspin during low-traction starts, not for making the trans shift like a manual), just let the PCM shift the transmission normally based on the shift schedule.

Manual 1 and 2 use different bands and clutches than auto 1 and 2 (again, to aid in enhanced engine braking) and also have different commanded line pressures. Also, given you've got a very early model trans, unless you've modified the valve body (J-mod), you should avoid excessive manual shifting.

As was previously said, use the O/D lockout to help avoid 4-2s, need to hit the gas or if you're planning to have some fun. If you're stuck in traffic around the 3-4/4-3 speeds and the car is constantly hunting between the two, you can use it then too. Otherwise just let the car use all 4 gears.
Yeah I have the j-mod done actually overall leave overdrive on turn it off for reasons you listed is what I’m getting at?

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,828 Posts
Overdrive is 4th gear, so up shifting from third to fourth or downshifting from fourth to third. I left overdrive off around town for that reason, too much hunting between gears.

Even with the J-Mod the 4-2 is unavoidable, that possibility needs to be programmed out via tune

1 - 20 of 25 Posts