TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
10,237 Posts
The 3-4/4-3 speed depends on your exact calibration, but in general it's around 35 MPH for 3-4, and 32ish for the 4-3.

The reason you feel that lag in the 4-3 is because the forward clutch comes back on before the OD band has finished completely releasing.

·
Super Moderator
13,634 Posts
Obviously don't go that fast on the road but how can you fix that? Get a new tranny that can go 127?
It's not the tranny; the ECU has the speed limiter in it.

RwP
The limit in the ECU is there for a reason. There's more to going fast than just removing the limiter. Without supporting mods it's dangerous to go over the limit set in the ECU. At a minimum tires (Rated H or above), transmission and driveshaft need to be capable of speeds in excess of the stock limit of 106. It's also a good idea to upgrade the brakes to slow your ass down from those speeds and you're suspension better be in good shape.

My car is VERY fast and I rarely take it over 120. Darin, have you ever been 120 or above in a car? Don't answer that. Just think about it.

It's dangerous. Take my word for it.

·
Super Moderator
11,123 Posts
I reworked my tune to where it shifts both up and down, much like a manual. With the brown upper spring and no lower, it slides 1st about 8mph. :)

·
Registered
1994 Ford thunderbird lx 4.6 v8
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The limit in the ECU is there for a reason. There's more to going fast than just removing the limiter. Without supporting mods it's dangerous to go over the limit set in the ECU. At a minimum tires (Rated H or above), transmission and driveshaft need to be capable of speeds in excess of the stock limit of 106. It's also a good idea to upgrade the brakes to slow your ass down from those speeds and you're suspension better be in good shape.

My car is VERY fast and I rarely take it over 120. Darin, have you ever been 120 or above in a car? Don't answer that. Just think about it.

It's dangerous. Take my word for it.

View attachment 42711
Good thing I haven’t been past 90 my wheel gets real shaky going into 80 mph

·
Registered
101 Posts
I keep it simple:
  • Around town street driving, O/D is off so that 4th gear isn't in the way of quick acceleration moves, such as avoiding sudden idiots in traffic. That extra split-second or two saved can make all the difference in avoiding an accident. But there is a notable difference in fuel economy; you can literally watch the fuel gauge needle drop as you drive with O/D off.
  • On the highway, I kick O/D on, because 4th gear is best suited for that and better fuel economy.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts