TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i put my new shifter on a i ran the overdrive to a switch was working perfect then i put everything together and now its not working.

i took it all back apart and everything is hooked up correctly.

what could be the problem does over drive has its own fuse?can i drive my car like this?

i check the fuses didnt see any blown ones.

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
The switch itself may be bad, or the wires may have gotten pinched or cut when reinstalling it. Either way, it will be fine to drive like that as long as the OD off light is not lit on the dash, you just won't have the ability to turn OD off, so don't do any towing or go driving up any long steep hills.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea im trying to figure it out the light is currently not light but i want to be able to turn it off,there are so many hills in my are and the car goes up hills alot easier with overdrive off.

i cut the wires and extended them to reach the switch and it was working fine drove it around and the shifter came loose so i had to tear it back apart to fix that and when i put everything together for the second time and now it doesnt work.

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
I don't know if it even has a fuse. It is a momentary switch that sends a signal to the ECM to lock out overdrive, so it might just be powered by the ECM, but a wiring diagram would be needed to verify that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so if i just leave the wires cut and not ran to the switch will that affect anything?i just wont be able to turn overdrive off

·
Super Moderator
7,514 Posts
It will be fine. Years ago I had a 94 Cougar that I ran like that for a couple years.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
speed dawg shifter adapter installed

well i got my shifter adapter here in the mail today and installed it it was pretty easy and straight forward.

the kit was only $30.00 and the shifter boot was $10.00 form autozone.

here are some pics and the link for the automatic adapter.

https://www.speeddawg.com/shift-knob-adapters/universal-automatic-shifter-adapter

here is the part

before

after

still waiting on my shift knob but you get the idea.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Does it have an OD button?

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
I think that's what the toggle switch is for .... :zdunno:

Not my idea of a "shifter mod", but to each their own.

It looks like the shifter button on the shifter was broken. I would have replaced it with one from a bone yard.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes my stock shifter both buttons were broken so thats why i replaced it and yes the od is now ran to a toggle.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Covering up the gear position indicator is illegal. I know some guys got tickets for having stick shifts with knobs that don't have the shift pattern on them.

You know the OD switch needs to be momentary, not an on/off switch, right?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i have a question i asked this yesterday in another section.

i never had a car with a over drive button before.

when i bought the car the overdrive button was not in the shifter so i never new i could turn it off.

when i put the new shifter in i did wire it to a toggle switch and i put everything back together and took it for a test drive.

using the toggle switch i was able to turn overdrive on and off then my shifter came loose and i had to tear the consol back a part and when i put it together for a second time and now its not working the light is not on in the dash but it wont let me turn it off?

im on my way now back to the auto stor and ill try the momentary switch see if that helps.

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
Covering up the gear position indicator is illegal. I know some guys got tickets for having stick shifts with knobs that don't have the shift pattern on them.

You know the OD switch needs to be momentary, not an on/off switch, right?
Only in the state of "Somewhere" is it illegal to cover the gear position indicator. :tongue: I think it really depends on where you're at as to weather or not that's going to be a problem.

Rodeo Joe has the same boot on his car with no issue.

That is true about the OD on/off signal though.

Just get a replacement Stock shifter and wire it up right. That should solve your problem. Unless the OD light in the dash is burnt out ... :zdunno:

You can still use that boot with a stock shifter.

·
Administrator
8,034 Posts
Well if it was working before then stopped working after you tore it back down, I'd check all your wiring to be sure everything is connected properly.

Joe

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Only in the state of "Somewhere" is it illegal to cover the gear position indicator. :tongue: I think it really depends on where you're at as to weather or not that's going to be a problem.

Rodeo Joe has the same boot on his car with no issue.

That is true about the OD on/off signal though.

Just get a replacement Stock shifter and wire it up right. That should solve your problem. Unless the OD light in the dash is burnt out ... :zdunno:

You can still use that boot with a stock shifter.
i was thinking the same thing only on "somewhere" haha

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well thanks guys for the help i went out and bought a momentary switch and i re hooked everything up and it works perfect now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts