TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay okay. So i dont know if my issue has been discussed and yes i did do a search but didnt find a definitive answer. I have a 97 tbird with the 3.8, well i have noticed that when im driving the car with the overdrive on the car will rev in an almost a neutral state to 3-4k rpms if i give the car more than 1/3rd throttle before it catches and goes. However, if i turn overdrive off then the trans suffers no type of slippage any any gear. Yes i have checked fluid. I am pretty mechanically inclined , however i have by no means ever been very trans or rear end savvy even though i do understand their basic design and function.
My question is what should i suspect to b the culprit. Overdrive bands, etc.

Oh and i havent had the car very long so im not sure how bad it would have been beat on lol. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,579 Posts
If it slips only in overdrive, then it's possible it's the band. One way to check would be to put it into manual 2 and see if it slips.

If it slips before you take off in 1st, then that's a different story. Having O/D lockout on or off has absolutely no effect on the lockup schedule or 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear's behavior. If it revs up and takes off with a bang in 1st, then your forward clutch is toast.

·
Registered
3 Posts
In manual 1 and 2 and drive with OD off there is no slippage. In fact if im on interstate and need to pass someone i usually let of the gas and hit OD off wait for it to downshift (if i dont it revs (forgot that info lol)) then pass the car and then turn OD back on.

Oh if it matters car shows 162k

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
In manual 1 and 2 and drive with OD off there is no slippage. In fact if im on interstate and need to pass someone i usually let of the gas and hit OD off wait for it to downshift (if i dont it revs (forgot that info lol)) then pass the car and then turn OD back on.
I just recently developed that same problem and use the same workaround lol

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Maybe there is scuffing/galling in the 3-4 shift actuator bore from the rod? Hard to know for sure. I'm no trans expert.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts