TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My overdrive switch started acting up the other day. I started the car and the light was on (o/d off), so I pushed the switch to turn it back on again, but the switch felt like the spring had gone a bit weak.

It happened a few times, then on Saturday I couldn't get the switch to turn the o/d on so I got hold of the switch to gently pull it back a bit, but the whole middle section of the switch button came out. I put it back in, and now it doesn't turn the o/d off at all. The button looks like it just pushes on some contacts in the shifter handle to work the o/d off function. It's not really a problem not being able to turn the o/d off, except sometimes on slight hills, or stop start driving when it would be handy.

Does it sound like the contacts have been flatenned, or am I missing a spring or something? I don't really want to have to fit a new shifter.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Cough

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the overdrive switch is supposed to come apart?

Is there supposed to be a spring in there?

Can you buy a switch without buying a complete shifter knob (for a 1994 car)??

Would it be easier to bypass the existing switch and put a seperate one on the console somewhere?

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I kinda knew the answer to that question.

When I couldn't get it to turn the od back on again I tried gently pulling the switch out of the handle, thinking it had got stuck in the "in" position. The thing just came out with no resistance at all! When I look into the hole I can see the copper contacts. I think they may have been flattened by the mechanic that test drove it. Maybe he thought he was pushing the main shifter knob or something (???).

I was thinking of seeing if I could gently pull the contacts back into shape. I don't want to end up with the od stuck off though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is a very flimsy copper contact built into a plastic case along the vertical shifter shaft. I had some issues years ago with putting it back in right after taking it apart for some work. There are only 2 wires going to it, you could run an external aftermarket switch in theory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts